Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Currently...

I am in Perth. I arrived yesterday about 6 pm. Just in time to realize that most of the shops were closing or had already closed. I was able to search out a woolworth's since I was in dire need of peanut butter and of milk for breakfast.
Plus, I wanted to pick up wine for new year's eve. I questioned the hostel manager and he told me that it was a muslim hostel. He hoped that I wasn't "one of those" since they hadn't had problems in the past with guests. I told him that it was new year's eve and that I would be considerate of myself and the other guests. I couldn't believe the irony. Me, in a freaking muslim hostel. It doesn't advertise that way, either, on the internet. It seems all sunshine fresh and pretty. I have another two nights there and then I am hoping to relocate to other accomodations. Fortunately, Perth is a huge city and I do have options. I plan on checking out the nearby hostels tomorrow and perhaps the beach too.
I went running this morning and it was fantastic. There weren't many people up yet. I suppose most people were hungover from last night.
I was a good kid for new year's. I had wine, dinner and finished some writing. I was in search of chocolate--my big indulgence--and met a Texan. He insisted on purchasing my chocolate banana muffin and then he walked me back to my muslim hostel. He was quite the gentlemen and definitely from Texas. He is here on business and he was interesting. While I have been in Australia, I haven't met many americans. It feels like I am a minority at times....I am enjoying the people and exploring this magnificent country.
On a side note, I wanted to thank Jimmy love Jones for going to Las Vegas last year for Christmas. I have been meaning to mention it for some time. Christmas this year, was really like, a true christmas in July. It had little effect on my life since i wasn't with family or friends. Last year was my first xmas without Brian and I didn't want to do what I normally did. I asked Jimmy to go to Las Vegas and he said yes. We ate at Olives, Bouchon and the Eiffel Tower restaurant, purely for the view. I realized while I was here, how fortunate I was that he accompanied me there last year. He gambled and I ate a lot of food. Typical...
I hope that you all were able to celebrate in the manner that you saw fit. I believe my team plays on January 3rd. GO JAYHAWKS....

No comments: