Thursday, July 10, 2008

Good people

I have been extremely fortunate in my life to come across fantastic people. As I have traveled or worked, I try to maintain friendships and always recommend a few places to travelers since I believe in the product or service and know that they will have a great experience.
For example, in Lawrence, Kansas, Free State Brewery is awesome--the food, the beer and the staff. Actually, I would even say that it is the best run restaurant that I have ever worked in. I always recommend it to people who are driving through Kansas even if Lawrence is not on their route. I mean, the campus is gorgeous and Free State is worth a visit.
In Tempe, Arizona, there is 4 Peaks. I worked there for about 2 years and since I go to Phoenix frequently, I have been able to maintain friendships and a dependence on that particular brew pub. 4 Peaks has grown up a lot. Now they have a hostess and there is typically 2 bartenders on at all times and at least 2 managers present. My friends, Jan and Tom, love it there and so I know if I am in Phoenix I am guaranteed at least 3 visits there on my 4 day trip!
Last week, my friend, Briselda, went to Phoenix to visit her friends and so I told her to go to 4 Peaks and ask for Crusty or Red-haired Steve. I saw her last night and she said that she had a great time at 4 Peaks and that she had timidly asked for Crusty since she didn't know the reference of his nickname. Steve, as always, was a gracious, wonderful example of the good people that are in my life and that 4 Peaks tends to employ. I was glad that B had met him and was able to tell him hello from me.
I guess I am saying that it is worth the extra effort to get to know someone or at least appear pleasant when you are traveling or trying to meet new people. You never know where the friendship/connection could lead. Earlier this summer, I was hoping to make it down to Rocky Point, Mexico, with a bunch of my friends from Phoenix to visit Jonny Vegas. Unfortunately, it didn't happen, but next time I will definitely make it a priority!
I am heading off to Vegas today and won't return until Monday. Yes, Monday. I decided to extend the trip since it is Jimmy's birthday and I want to go to Il Mulino with Dave and Erik since they know the sommelier and supposedly the wine they have chosen is phenomenal! I am ready...

No comments: