Friday, August 29, 2008

Recovery........

Tru was amazing. I had a wonderful meal and ironically, my hotel was 4 blocks from the restaurant which proved to be convenient and wonderful.
I started the 28th on the down side. I need to remember to eat before I drink red wine. I had a petit verdot at Bin 36 and talked to a random from Houston. Next I returned to the W Hotel and spent some time at their bar. I ended the night overlooking Lake Michigan.
The next morning, I woke up and felt horrible. I searched for gatorade, alleve and starbuck's. Thankfully, there are multiple starbuck's and walgreen's everywhere near Michigan Avenue. I walked to the Art Institute while it rained, somewhat, and felt perfect. It was the perfect way to celebrate my anniversary with Brian. I decided to go to Rick Bayless's restaurant, Fronterra, for lunch. The atmosphere was colorful and lively, but I wasn't too fond of the food. I ordered chicken enchiladas in a mole sauce. The sauce was great, but I wasn't a fan of the dark chicken. I suppose it is a texture thing for me, but I didn't eat it. Instead, I spent $40 on chips, salsa, guacamole and black beans. I was a little disappointed in the service, but it just made me appreciate my meal at Tru all the much more.
I stopped by Delilah's to celebrate their 15 year anniversary. It was busy and had a good vibe. I had dinner reservations and so I had an early night at Delilah's. I saw Mike Miller and that was that.
Tru was classy. Initially, I was seated by myself and not enjoying it too much. I opted to do the Chef's tasting menu which consisted of potential wine pairings. Since it is summer, it was white heavy, but I asked them to go red since I prefer red wine. I had two courses, plus bread, when the hostess inquired if I wanted reading material. I told her that I wanted to sit at the bar, but I wanted to enjoy the full experience of Tru and so I was dining solo. I had noticed another solo diner and asked her to ask him if he would have dinner with me.
He did and it was perfect. His name was Sam, he was 19 years old and an intern in the kitchen at Tru. He was perfect. He reminded me of Brian since he was passionate about food. The day, itself, was exactly the way it was supposed to be. I am glad that I decided to go to Chicago instead of Telluride.
I don't know where my next trip is, but I am happy. I have a wonderful life and many opportunities and coincidences which make me believe that I am on the right path.
Enjoy yourself and each other!

No comments: