Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wine dinner

Wine dinner Wednesday--awesome.
Finally.
I have been looking forward to this night, August 18th, for the last month. I love wine dinners. Interesting conversations, amazing wine/food, scrumptious dessert, more wine. Intoxifying. The last one that I attended, Sara Jo, and I sat with two couples. I believe, we represented the youngest people in attendance and I had asked Maghan, to place us at a fun table. One couple was newly married and beer drinkers. The other two, were on a date and as the night progressed, we learned that the woman had quit her job in order to pursue her passion. She opened a wine accessory store and was extremely joyful in her life.
Yes, the conversation flowed and was unique. This is what I enjoy about wine dinners. Being placed in a situation where you can connect with people that you do not know. Be inspired, motivated, or be able to release something about yourself. Yes, wine dinners are fantastic. Feeling this way about this event, especially one that was hosted by Solera, prompted me to overlook my happy hour wine date with Jenny.
Jenny and I meet regularly throughout the year. Typically, we shoot for a Wednesday night, every two months. We change venues around the metro area to keep it fresh--I think.
Originally, I set aside, this Wednesday, August 18th, to meet her. It has been two months since our last happy hour and in my phone, tonight, we were supposed to meet at Root Down. I still haven't checked out their food and patio. I suppose it is due to the fact that I have heard--several times-that the service is less than stellar. In fact, it is poor and the food, although, great, does not make up for that fact. I have to be in the mood to overlook poor service.
Meanwhile, I received a weekly e-mail from Solera where they mentioned upcoming events. They were having a 4 course meal, paired with wine, on August 18th. Immediately, I texted my friend, Maghan, and asked him to put me on the confirmation list, +1. I figured I would ask Sara Jo, or someone to attend the dinner with me.
A few weeks later and I realized that the 18th was the night I was supposed to have happy hour wine with Jenny. I e-mailed her to have her consider a change of venue. I wanted to give her the opportunity to attend the dinner with me. I really wanted to go. And, Jenny has been considering service work. Each year, she organizes several holiday fundraisers that aid area shelters, homes, people. She excels at this and wants to take a more committed position of what--she doesn't know. It has been floating in her mind for the last 8 months. I believe that she will meet her opportunity when she least expects it. I attempted to convince her that the Solera wine dinner might be that opportunity of inspiration.
Unfortunately, she declined. She told me that I should go, though, and we could meet on an alternate night.
Ironically, we met at a wine tasting on Monday, at Solera. Maybe I should rename this post--wine consumption at Solera. The tasting was the 3rd that I have attended this summer. I enjoy people watching and am friendly with a few of the reps that pour at the tastings. Because of this, I hear the back story of some of the guests that routinely attend these functions. There are cougars that say the most outlandish things to the reps. The gall of some of the women.
Today is a great day! Work followed by wine, food and a unique opportunity to meet people. My friend, Jen, is attending the event with me. Her boyfriend is our chauffer. Grateful for that. The taxi or walk back to Solera to get said car is less than desireable.
Enjoy your day!

No comments: