Monday, January 3, 2011

Canvas & Cocktails Class

First bond forming memory of 2011 occurred at Canvas and Cocktails. Sara Jo and her friend, Jennifer, the Goddess and her sister, Katie, and my friend Jenn all attended this great little concept class. I was intimidated since my artistic ability is limited to writing cards. Somehow, I enjoy, even look forward to being creative in that realm. Painting seemed like the perfect way to bond with my friend's friends. We would all be on a level playing field or so I thought.
And, they provide one free mimosa which also loosens you up. Jennifer picked Sara Jo and I up and we headed to Cherry Creek. Driving with her reminded me of being driven around by Sam or my aunt Bryn. I love my aunt but she has no sense of the metro area. I remind her how to get to my house regularly.
Sam was a friend of Brian's that drove like an old woman. He would drive Sara and me to Solera, frequently, and we always laughed at how slow he drove. Yes, Sara's friend drove like a combination of the two.
We entered the space and it was busy. Super full of all women. I found out later that there were two men, in attendance, and a few babies. My Jenn arrived first and she secured us our own table which was thoughtful and worked out great. We each grabbed a mimosa and waited to be given instructions. The instructor was super hyper. Translation--annoyingly hyper. She kept saying--Here's the Deal.....this class isn't about STRESS....Type A's--calm down....Here is the Deal. Talk about annoying and creating stress instead of decreasing it.
I tuned her out, finally.
I enjoyed the class notwithstanding the instructor and my canvas isn interesting. I chose to veer off the main course to make it more me. I like it. I do. The finished product was supposed to look like snow covered trees. Mine is more autumn like. I wanted more color.
Katie, Lindsay's sister, seemed to take to the course naturally. Everyone else painted but not with her ease. I think it was a good mix of girls and I would love to do it, again, and with different people. I think it is a wonderful way to create a memory.
Afterwards, we dined at Earl's since the Cricket was on a half hour wait. I have been to the Earl's in Phoenix and remembered it being decent.
We split a few appetizers and sandwiches. It was okay. I would have preferred going to my favorite place in the world (Elway's) but I was in the minority on that call. Our server was mediocre, at best. I did like the bloody mary bar, though. And, having a Sunday off was awesome!!! I don't know if I would put Earl's on my list of restaurants to frequent.
I will eventually post a photo of my canvas. I need to update a few other things before I unveil it. If you have the opportunity to attend a class in your area--Do. You will be happy and surprised at how enjoyable it is.

No comments: