Thursday, January 19, 2023

Thankful Thursday and other reflections

It's been a million years since I have had a gratitude post.  Specifically on a Thursday post.  I used to follow a blogger that always posted about thankful Thursday.  I appreciated her candidness and genuine voice.  Her cadence and rhythm spoke to me.  

I lost the habit of doing a Thankful Thursday post.  It evolved into a throwback sort of thing.  Throwbacks are fun and I participate on IG and FB often.  Today, I want to return to the gratitude post.  I am determined to do 2023 different.  Not just sit back and follow what has worked in the past.  Let's change it up and strive for more.

I am thankful for being in Denver.  Denver has been my home, off and on, since 2001.  I broke up with Denver in 2011 but knew that I would return one day.  Phoenix and Santa Fe housed me for a few years.  I had lived in Phoenix for a few years outside of college.  I had achieved a support network of restaurant people and felt confident returning to see what had changed.  My tolerance to the heat, lol.  When I was 22, I lived in Phoenix without air conditioning in my car.  For two years, somehow, I managed that feat.  Looking back, I must have convinced myself that it was normal to sweat in your bra daily.  

They say it is a dry heat.  It is freaking hot!!!  Trying to drive around the city without air conditioning ten years later was not remotely happening.  A few times the a/c would go out and I would freak out, find the nearest mechanic and handle it.  The yoga scene in Phoenix is legit.  I have always enjoyed the yoga community there.  As much as I enjoyed Phoenix and my support network, I knew that I wanted to return to Denver at some point.  I knew that I wanted to check out another spot and slowly make my way north.

Santa Fe has always had this mystical attraction for me.  I would visit twice a year and explore the restaurant scene and hang out with Melody.  In 2014, I tried to live there.  As attractive as it was as a tourist, I had a challenging time fitting in.  It is a small town.  There are incredible restaurants and a fantastic mystical vibe.  Yet, I yearned for being in a city.  The return to Denver was complete in 2015.

I came home and rebuilt my support network.  I added to it and cultivated other friendships.  I am thankful for my friend group.  They are supportive, encouraging and fun.  They inspire me and the longer I remain here, the more our friendships evolve.  A few people have moved away.  Others have taken other jobs in industries where I am limited in seeing them.  Isn't this the nature of life?  I am thankful for my lifelong friendships which stem from the restaurant industry.  I have been blessed to meet many incredibly talented people who remain in contact with me.

This year, I am considering returning to Santa Fe.  In many ways, it makes sense.  Tom is there.  Melody is there.  I love the food.  I would frequent my favorite green chile place weekly.  Soaking at Ojo Caliente would be a monthly ritual.  There are many activities that I enjoy.  

Still, in Denver, I am able to get a body scrub, Thai massage, etc.  I have a favorite pedicure spot.  Walkable from my house and close to a wine spot.  There are other amazing things in Denver and truly, I am thankful for my life here.  Yoga is here.  I have created a community that is growing and expanding.  I do like several aspects of my life here.  I struggle to decide what is best for me.  The independence of my life in Denver is intoxicating.  I feel comfortable meeting friends for lunch, dining solo or checking out new spaces.  I am sure that I can create that in Santa Fe, too.  

I am conflicted.  Should I stay or should I go?  I am happy spending time with Tom in each place, and I want to explore where that will lead.  So far, we are both committed to making it work.  I appreciate that very much. 

There are many things that I am grateful for today.  Clean water.  I forget how much I appreciate access to water.  My washing machine has been on the fritz (my landlord has not made time to rectify this for a few months.  She was out of the country but has been back over a week.  I am ready for it to be fixed).  Still, it is more of an inconvenience/irritation.  It is manageable.  The nearest laundromat is four blocks away.  

What are you thankful for?  How are you celebrating 2023 so far?  Any hacks or suggestions?  Make it your best year yet!

No comments: