Monday, July 20, 2009

NYC half marathon....

So, I walked to Cherry Creek for coffee and to get a money order for my fundraising. My full marathon is October 18th in Denver. Fundraising is going well.
Along the way, I started thinking about my energy in life.
Obviously--food, travel, and running. I remembered that I needed to post something about an upcoming event in NYC. It combines two of my current attractions--travel and running. Oh, and fundraising, too.
On August 16th, there is a 1/2 marathon benefitting the Fresh Air organization. This 1/2 marathon benefits an organization that helps children in NY and other communities around the US. Mostly, they provide opportunities for disadvantaged youth to experience something outside of urban living.
Last year, this event raised $125,ooo which is pretty amazing in terms of single day events.
If I could make it, I would. I am embracing running and this new adventure in my life. Plus, I have never been to New York City and would love to go eat.
This is the second mention of it, in my life, too, in the last week. One of my high school friends vacationed there with his family last week. He posted photos on facebook and I was jealous of some of the places they ate.
I'll be honest....I am not a huge Bobby Flay fan. I think he is arrongant, but I have heard from several credible people that he can cook and that he is legitimate. Matt and his wife went to Mesa Grill in New York and said it was solid. In Las Vegas, there is a Mesa Grill in Caesar's I think. I have a sommelier friend that works at Bouchon--one of my all-time favorite restaurants, ever--and his wife is a chef in Mesa. Paul offered to help me out next time I was in Vegas with the food factor. I think I will look into Mesa next time I am in Vegas.
Anyways, if you have time, and an adventurous spirit, check out this website and consider competing in the 1/2 marathon. Or donate to this cause. If you are able to run, you will sigh up to raise $1000. I know that the time is limited, but spreading love/money around benefits you too. I believe, truly, that giving back to the community gives back to you 1000%.
I will be running on August 18th and so I am unable to go. I committed to the Georgetown-Idaho Springs 1/2 marathon about a month ago.
Again, check it out--www.freshair.org--why not? Every year, my parents took us on vacation. I am so grateful to them for introducing travel to my life. I think back to my childhood and how awful it would have been to spend summers inside or stuck in Kansas.
This organization sets up a nice experience for children between the ages of 6-18 years of age. Thank you for listening and considering running of their behalf.

No comments: