Friday, March 5, 2010

Izba

Waking up, today, I felt extremely refreshed and ready to welcome the day. I e-mailed, showered and got ready for my massage at Izba.
Izba is a Russian Spa in Denver. They offer a variety of services and specialize in the banya treatment. Basically, it is a 15 minute dry sauna session where they take oak leaves and beat your back, douse you with honey and dump a bucket of water on you. From this, you rinse off an enjoy an hour massage. The Banya Session in fantastic and a wonderful way to detox.
I walked there. I wanted to make the most of my day. A little overcast, but a steady 45 degrees.
I arrived with minutes to spare. My male therapist walked me into my room, explained that I needed to begin in the dry sauna and that he would return momentarily. I had had this guy on an earlier visit and I thought I remembered that he liked to joke. I didn't feel funny. I wanted to relax and not talk during the experience.
I laid down and waited.
It was hot, but not stifling. The therapist came in, checked the heat, applied some peppermint essential oil to the room and left.
For 15 minutes, I laid there, and endured moderate heat. In addition to the light massage, I listened to his lame attempts to make jokes. He commented on the fact that he liked to joke and laugh. I remained mute. I didn't want to encourage this.
Afterwards, I showered and he began the massage. I knew I was tight, but did not realize that the entire massage would be trying. He worked on my back, the back of my legs, my feet and then I flipped over to have my front addressed.
He knew that I had sustained some injury from running and so he tried to work on my IT Band through my stomach. It hurt and it was uncomfortable. I was covered and didn't feel exposed in that way...I just do not enjoy having my stomach worked on. I laughed. Then, I started tearing up.
Immediately, he felt terrible for making me cry. I think crying can be good and realistically, I consider the last few weeks and know that I have not been that emotional regarding the time of year. I needed the release even if it made the joking therapist uncomfortable.
He finished the massage with the comment--wow--what a difference in your legs...actually, you entire right side is constricted.
I showered and sat in their foyer. After each service, they provide hot tea and orange slices for clients. I reflected on the experience and was thankful that I made time for it.
I am relaxed, somewhat sad, but joyful in my life. I hope to have 12 massages at Izba this year. I feel it is important to have body maintenance and feel that with each session, my right side will be less restricted. I called my aunt to ask why my right side would be so jacked up, emotionally. She said that the left side of the body is more involved with past emotions and the right is more present. I suppose it it right on, with my current state of affairs.
Nevertheless, I am thankful for the massage. Enjoy your day!

No comments: