Sunday, March 21, 2010

March woes....

Yesterday began in a positive manner---long run with the Goddess, no slipping while running, coffee and gratitude for said run and the opcoming basketball games.
I used to watch basketball with dad, as a kid. To this day, we still have conversations about--did you see that game? Or, better yet, that shot was amazing. I know my dad loves basketball as much as I do.
I went to KU. I am a basketball fan, legitimately.
I saw that Villanova was upset and wasn't too terribly surprised since they squeaked out a win on Thursday. I thought they should have lost that game. Whatever the reason when I saw the confirmed upset factor, I had a sense of foreboding.
I watched the first 1/2 at my house and was uneasy. I had to leave to go to work and if they lost the game, I really didn't want to be in that environment. Most of the customers know that I am a KU fan and so they comment during the game about everything. In addition to all of the comments, I am really unable to watch the game, at all. I have a job to do. I am working and so me, standing there gawking at the inevitable situation is not good for business.
Yesterday, as the time decreased and my hopes were dashed, there were a group of 6, sitting at the bar, who were Bill Self Haters. They hated KU and were gleeful about the upset factor. As much as I wanted to choke them since there was still time to be the KU team I knew they could be. I didn't want to go on the offensive with time left.
They continued to heckle the situation. Tiffany explained to them that I was a KU fan and maybe they could tone it down a little.
Their response--Bill Self abandoned us...yes, you are right...he did.
Just like Roy Williams departed for UNC. And no, I am a huge Roy Williams fan anymore.
However, they were only mad since their school hasn't done jackshit since the initial departure year. Bruce Weber is not Bill Self, nor Roy Williams. He fell into a job where his roster was scouted by Self and that year, they made it to the final game. He had fantastic players---Luther Head, Derron Williams and one other that I am not going to remember right now. Regardless, they are still angry over that move.
I was angry at Roy when he won his first national championship with UNC. He did it with another coaches team. But, last year, he took the title with his own scouting, determination and tenacity.
So, what I am trying to say....is that it was a really difficult game for me. I had to listen to these Bill Self haters while hoping we would prevail and win the game. When we didn't, I had to suffer the next 8 hours of listening to what a great upset it was....Yuck! I am over it and sad.
I will watch the tournament. It has been filled with unlikely teams advancing and kudos to them for having passion and the killer attack! We did not yesterday. We played entitled, fat, old.....

No comments: