Saturday, October 22, 2022

Whirlwind

Productive view days...finding a car, having it checked out and purchasing.  It was sort of nuts.  As my emissions test was looming and need to update my tags, I knew that I needed to figure out a solution.  As much as I loved my Volvo wagon, Calliope (she was a sporty, boxy, safe vehicle), I was unwilling to purchase a new transmission.  The used cost of this part two years ago was $2300.  Even then, I wasn't inclined to have the repair done.  Fast forward to six months ago.  I am told that I would need a transmission and that the cost had increased to $4500.  A used transmission.  That is if they could find one.  Multiple mechanics told me that a used transmission might not be a great fix.  That transmission would have issues of its own; thereby, the fix could be minimal.  Pay $4500 for the part, not the labor included.  Then, the transmission could function for a month?  Two months?  Six months?  They suggested purchasing a Volvo transmission for the grand price of $7500.  Sounds like a great idea???

I finally called around to see what my options were as I saw my window of opportunity closing.  One of my mechanics said that they had nothing in stock.  While the other mechanic mentioned that he had recently refurbished a wagon and that it was available nearby.  I called the dealer and attempted to set up a viewing.

24 hours later, I had purchased the car and traded in Calliope.  I cannot believe that I did this.  It feels like a whirlwind.  One of the most positive outcomes of purchasing this car, is that I am able to drive down to Santa Fe instead of renting a car to drive down.  It has been a long ten months or relying on rental cars to make it from point A to point B.  I loved that car and would have driven it into the ground.  (Essentially, I did.  I just ran out of time and started to freak out about not being able to find a replacement).  

Tomorrow, I will head to Santa Barbara to celebrate a client/friend's wedding.  I am excited to celebrate with Rachel and Jeff.  And, it will be the first time in Santa Barbara in ten years.  A trip is overdue and I am ready to return to some sort of more normal travel routine.  It is a part of my life.  I love traveling.  I mentioned to Shari an opportunity to go to Mexico in January.  The more we discuss it, the more likely it is becoming.

It has been a productive week and month, overall.  There are a few administrative tasks that I must attend to in the next few weeks.  No more putting these things off.  The new laptop should help. 

I have noticed that writing things on my whiteboard is helping.  I can cross them off and see the win.

No comments: