Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Heading to California

I made it to California a few weeks ago.  Wine, amazing food and time with friends.  Who doesn't enjoy that prospect?

Tom originally invited me as his plus one to the Healdsburg Wine Festival.  Honestly, it was pretty awesome.  250 wineries, four hours to try them out and some food.  And no, we did not sustain four hours.  It was too much time.  One of my critiques--it needed to offer more food.  I loved that I was unfamiliar with a good amount of wine.  They had a few water stations (another critique, but if you know me, water is like my security blanket.  I feel like Linus, lol).  

They did many things right.  I loved the wrist band that they placed on my wrist.  Instead of the irritating typical wrap, it was easily applied to my wrist and adjustable.  I loved that.  

The entrance to the event was a little confusing.  They need to figure that aspect out.  We had paper tickets and were told to enter a line but there were a few other lines to the entrance.  Volunteers were shouting this is the way.  Yet, it was not.  We were able to enter pretty quickly.

Initially I was concerned about the porta potties.  Seemed concentrated in an area (similar to wine and chile) but they were accessible and camouflaged.  I appreciated that attention to detail.  

The tent coverage and number of wineries was great.  The price point also was fair.  And they attracted a younger demographic which was also promising.  Perhaps, local folks but that was great.  I was grateful to attend to the event.  

In addition to the wine festival, we saw Lauren in Calistoga and Jarred in Napa.  I am now a case of wine happier.  The wine was delivered to Tom.  I suppose a trip to Santa Fe is in my future.

San Franscisco was delightful.  Flew in.  Picked up the car to drive to Healdsburg.  Returned to the city, dropped the car off and took the BART into the city.  I love how convenient that is and affordable.  We arrived at Powell Station and made our way into the city.  Checked into the hotel and headed to the House of Nanking.  It is one of my favorite spots to eat.  I was a trifle disappointed this time.  Extremely busy and our table was blocked by the line of folks waiting to get a table.  

We shared dumplings and long beans.  Honestly, the dumplings in Santa Fe at Dumpling Cafe are fire.  They are the freshest dumplings I have ever had.  Unfairly to the House of Nanking, that memory resonates.  The dumplings are so good in Santa Fe.  They are fire.

Our wine from AJ Pearce arrived on Friday.  Tom told me that we might need to order more.  I am all for supporting my friends.  I intend to call Jarred and let him know that we are interested in another case.

California has changed a little since my last visit.  The traffic has not waned.  Although, it took much longer to drive to Napa from the city.  Part of it was the lack of understanding in dealing with a four way stop.  

Yes, San Francisco is dirtier, grittier, unrefined (in some ways).  But it isn't as bad as portrayed in the media.  Yes, there are people urinating in the streets.  And, I have viewed this in Denver, Santa Fe, Phoenix....And there is a large amount of homeless people there as well as every other city.   People blaming homeless people for the decline of tourism in San Francisco are deluding themselves.  There is still tourism, opportunity and love for the city.   And, yes, there are homeless people.  

I am tired of listening to fear and hatred.  Get out of your bubble and explore the world.  Spread kindness and joy,


No comments: