Thursday, January 25, 2024

sugar

Lately I have been craving sugar, sweets, dessert.  Possibly since I am practicing dry January and am missing that sugar from wine.  That would be my guess.  And my salt intake has decreased.  I crave sugar.

Takeaways of dry January.  First and foremost, better sleep.  I go to bed and immediately fall to sleep.  There is no negotiating or talking myself into slumber.  It happens when my head hits the pillow.  And it sustains throughout the night.  With one exception.  Last night, I experienced the stress loop which I loathe.  I woke up and had the same conversation of anxiety in my head.  I would fall back asleep and reawaken to the same conversation.  

Water.  I always drink water and my water bottle serves as my binky.  I always have a water bottle with me to ensure that I have access to water at all times.  In the past, I have experienced dehydration and heat stroke.  As much as I thought I learned my lesson, the face plant of 2012 would suggest otherwise.   (And, no, alcohol was not involved.  I was severely dehydrated and did a face plant at a laundromat.  Busted my lower lip/bridge of nose and my laptop was crushed).  I felt like I drank an adequate amount of water, daily, until this month.  Making an effort to truly drink a gallon of water is illustrating how dehydrated I have been.  And that I pee frequently, lol. That is the most annoying part.  The need to urinate all day.  

I am eating on a schedule.  I wake up.  Make coffee, drink lemon water, take my vitamins and juice.  Typically--apple, ginger, beet, carrot and lemon.  Sometimes, I add cucumber, bell pepper and another fruit.  Currently, cantaloupe.  I make eggs, eat a protein bar or oatmeal for breakfast.  Lunch has been a variety of things--tuna wraps, eggs, lentil soup, pasta.  Mostly, anything that I can create at home.  

I stopped by Sprout's yesterday and found some manager specials that were handy.  50 cents for a package of spinach and kale.  99 cents for a stir-fry dinner.  99 cents for cauliflower rice.  Affordable items that need to be utilized within the next three to five days.   On that point, I am cooking at home.  Yes, I have ordered take-out a few times but that has decreased.  When I dine out, my bill is a fraction of what it normally is which I also enjoy.  Being moderate is helping me consider how I want to continue with the rest of the year.  I would like to eliminate sugar from my diet as much as I can.  That will be difficult with my love of wine.  I could minimize sugar.  No sweets or desserts with the exception of special occasions.  I will have carrot cake for my birthday as it is tradition.  

I am over the halfway point of my thirty-one days.  And I am considering extending it til my visit to Santa Fe in February.  Noncommittal but considering it.  There are many things that I am considering doing differently this year.  Choosing to stay in the unconventional lane.  Cheers!


No comments: