Tuesday, January 16, 2024

cold weather

The last few days have been frigid in Colorado.  Motivating me to remain indoors, cooped up and attempting to occupy my time.  I have tasks that I am actively avoiding.  (I seem to be a great procrastinator when I choose to be).  Eventually I will handle them.

I watched Saltburn and will return to what I thought of it in a bit.  Read a few books, prepped yoga classes and appetizers for the happy hour tonight and tried to walk outdoors.  That idea fizzled quickly.  I was unable to protect my face.  I wore yoga pants, jeans, knee high socks, a long sleeve shirt, hoodie, winter coat and hat/gloves.  Walking three blocks convinced me that it was too cold, and I should enter a coffee shop instead of walking to the market.  My daily steps have been affected by the cold.  I am unable to stay true to this habit which is frustrating.  I prefer getting movement daily.

Since Saturday, I have been reclusive.  Managed to drive to Trader Joe's before my check engine light came on.  No idea why and it freaked me out.  My car was driving well.  I observed the temperature gage and watched for black smoke to indicate some sort of issue.  I turned my car off and, on a few times, to see if it would reset and the engine light would turn off.  Thankfully it did, earlier today.   Instead of calling my mechanics in a frantic state (which I have done in the past), I decided to reach out to my neighbor who is a wrencher.  Lee has offered a couple of times to change my oil and I trust him.  After driving around this morning, my check engine light, cleared and I felt more confident in my car.  I no longer felt vulnerable.  Still, I wanted the reassurance.  I met with Lee who assessed that my car was fine.  

Lately I continue to hear people talking about the movie Saltburn and how disturbing it is.  This one girl was bothered by it.  Told her friends that they shouldn't watch it because it was really fucked up.  Some of the scenes were very disturbing.  She was really upset about it.  Her boyfriend asked me what my favorite movie was and without hesitation, I remarked, American Beauty.  I have always enjoyed this movie, immensely.  Well-acted, thought provoking and something I can watch and find something that I had not noticed before.  In 1999, I watched it five times at the theater.  Yes, five times.

Regarding Saltburn, I didn't think it was that bad.  Yes, there were a few cringeworthy moments (really cringeworthy) but overall, I was not that bothered by the movie.  It was easy to follow and predictable. Reminded me a little of Parasite, but that was more graphically disturbing from my perspective and surprising.  

Tom lent me a book about Vietnam.  So far it is dry and difficult.  Not as enthralling as reading fiction.  I am struggling to read it.  I will continue to plow through it as I am interested in the content.  I was not taught about the war while in school.  I would like to know more about it.  And I am committed to increasing my reading this year which will include nonfiction books.  I tend to gravitate towards fiction and can breeze through them.  I read the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo yesterday.  It was an easy read and although I wasn't in love with it, I did finish it.  Somewhat enjoyable as the story continued.  I suppose it is interesting to explain the desire to marry seven times.  They were all different and served a purpose.

Cold weather dictates indoor activities.  Maybe I should learn a new card game?  Solitaire occupies my time when I am alone.  Rummy when I see Tom and perhaps, crazy eight's.  I wish I had learned how to play spades, cribbage or bridge.  A forgotten way to pass time with friends.

Stay warm and healthy!


No comments: