Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sisterly love

Last week, I was able to fly to Oregon and spend 6 days with two of my sisters.  It was fantastic!  It only would have been better had Jasmin been able to make an appearance.  Another time, I am sure that can be arranged.
I flew into Eugene, drove to Bend to meet Michaela and her husband.  I had never been to Bend and was awed by what that city had to offer.  Excellent breweries, yoga studios, coffee shops, funky vibe and the hiking was incredible.  Actually, Michaela found a spot that sounded awesome but really was us walking around a parking lot.  Long story and funny to look back on.  At the time, we were both sort of annoyed with the lack of trail.  Basically, the river trail went about a quarter mile before veering off and heading up to the interstate.  We backtracked and found another trail that also led to a parking lot.  Lame, for sure!  Next time, we'll have to research better.
The yoga factor in Bend was fantastic.  Somehow, I managed to find an incredible studio.  I dropped into a class for $12 which included a mat rental.  The instructor was great.  Completely different flow, music and I benefited from the experience.  I posted about it on my facebook account.  Later that afternoon, a friend of mine that I met in New Zealand made a comment.  Amber wanted to know who the instructor was.  I responded that her name was Cynthia.  Amber commented that Cynthia was one of the reasons she became a yoga instructor.  Can you say ironic?
I returned on Sunday to attend another one of Cynthia's classes and made a point to arrive early and talk to her about our mutual friend.
Michaela, Tim and I checked a few of the breweries in Bend, too.  Ten Barrel, Crux and Boneyard.  All had great beer and different things to offer. I felt fortunate to have been able to check out the beers, food and vibes of each place.
After the weekend in Bend, we returned to Eugene.  Michaela returned to work and I was able to tour the city, solo, and spend time with Jade and her family.  I took Mackenzie to lunch, one afternoon, too.  It was nice to spend time with my niece.  I considered taking her to pizza and salad.  I knew that the place I wanted to frequent had lame wine though.  Instead of that, we went to an upscale bar in downtown Eugene.  We tried an array of appetizers which was a new experience for her.  I am glad that I was able to share with her that.  Hopefully she'll look back on our lunch at the Davis and think fondly of it.  We sampled pancetta wrapped prawns, scotch eggs, roasted vegetables and hummos.
My Oregon trip was lovely.  I wish I had had more time to explore the city and see it with my sisters.  The weather was a wonderful change for me.  I could go running at 8, 9, or 10 am.  What a change from Phoenix.  I slept thru my alarm this morning.  I forced myself to go running at 7 am.  It was already 94.  Believe me, I was tempted to put it off one more day.  Yet, the half marathon is next Saturday.  I cannot afford to put it off one more day.
Vacation in Oregon was awesome.  No rain, lots of great conversations with my sisters and yoga was sublime.  Well, yoga in Bend.  The studio in Eugene severely lacked.  No mirrors in the studio and the instructor faces you.  The music was terrible.  I just could never not stopping thinking about how terrible the flow sequence was.  I bought a 3 day pack and so I was committed to it right out of the gate.  Next time, I will find a different studio instead of settling for the one right by Michaela's house.  I wanted to say how shitty the class was to the instructor but didn't feel that it would matter at all.
I feel rejuvenated from my vacay.  And, I loved Bend.  I hope to return soon and check out more of the city.

No comments: