Saturday, May 7, 2022

Yoga, clean eating and excess

Happy Saturday!  I am finding that I love the opportunity to teach at the Park.  It provides rejuvenation, healing and basking in the sunlight.  I love how in touch you can get while practicing outdoors. 

Slowly, momentum is growing and I am feeling better about my decision to teach yoga.  I know that I excel at bringing people together.  I regret not offering group classes earlier in my career.  There is a growing energy of the collective experience that makes it unlike any other yoga class.  Last night, I was at the restaurant and a man came in that I recognized from another local spot that I frequent often.  I could not remember his name and I was not his server.

Eventually, after hearing that his wife was unhappy with her salad, I approached the table.  I asked if they frequent said restaurant and their response was--ah, that is how we know you.  We have been trying to figure out why you looked familiar.  

From here, continuing the conversation it was revealed that I teach yoga.  They seemed interested in attending the Saturday session which I am excited about.  Also, affirmed that I need to be giving out my business card more often.  All of these things that you learn as you navigate entrepreneurship.

The detoxing cleanse is going well.  Recently, I responded to a friend that I want to find a balance between the excess and clean lifestyle.  Benefits of clean eating---productivity (overload), enhanced sleep, clears up skin, save money.  I read more and tackle tasks with a clear mind space.  Excessive habits create contacts, social interactions, creativity.  Plus, I like it.  I enjoy drinking wine at lunch.  I like mezcal.  I love gin and tonics.  If you know me, you know, that I avoided gin for fifteen plus years.  I had a terrible experience in college.   Underage and spending time with my restaurant colleagues, we went to a bar after a shift one night.  Keep in mind, I had a spanish class at 8:30 the next morning.  This class dominated my freshman year.  Five days a week at 8:30.  I would walk to campus which was about a mile away.  I refused to live on campus.

So, I am out with my co-workers.  Drinking who knows what.  I imagine vodka at the juncture in my life.  Some brilliant person decides to buy my a shot of gin. Graciously, I take it because I was enjoying spending time with my colleagues.  

I remember vomiting in the women's rest room.  Then, the men's.  Not a banner moment in my life. The next morning, I woke up.  Thought I was going to die.  It was truly one of the worst hangovers I have ever experienced.  Still, I managed to attend my spanish class.  My participation was dire.  I think I bet one of my co-workers that I would make it to class.  

Oh and fun memories from college, restaurant industry and the overindulgence of alcohol.  From that night, I loathed gin.  Wouldn't touch it.  Regardless, of how much a bartender would say how the gin added a component that vodka would not, I could not enjoy gin.

I don't remember why I returned it.  Maybe, that I discovered the negroni.  Small steps. Now, I do enjoy a gin and tonic on the patio.

There is a balance and I am determined to achieve it.  Monday, I am celebrating with my friend, Brie.  We have successfully met and managed a run/walk.  It is motivating me to run other times during the week.  I feel fantastic!  

I look at my pile of books I would like to read.  It keeps growing.  I just need to lock myself in my room, no phone, no laptop and read a few books.  It needs to be done.

Yoga was fantastic.  I am incredibly thankful for the people who attend my classes and allow me to call them my tribe.  It is a beautiful thing.


No comments: