Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Random tangents how I always maneuver

There is always some background music going on in my head.  I could have a random thought and next thing, I know, new song.  Sometimes, I am fine with it.  Other times, I resent the song in my head and share it with others.

I cannot believe we are in May and that I am still figuring a few things out.  I have managed to return to running.  Kind of.  I have run/walk the three of the last six days.  I would have loved to have attempted it yesterday.  Honestly, it was chilly, overcast and raining.  Inspired me to hunker down and watch movies.  Bull Durham--one of the best baseball movies in my humble opinion and Heat.  Completely different genres.  Both superbly acted and kept my attention.  

I had an ongoing conversation with a new friend about travel, life and food. I could talk travel and food, ad naseum.  He inquired which cities did I enjoy dining in the best without using Denver or Santa Fe.  I have spent the most time in those two cities and I think he was surprised at the amount of my travel I have done. Taking those out of the equation didn't really minimize me.

Furthermore, that navigating my food/travel journal has stayed on my mind today.  I went running and considered some of my experiences.  My dinner at Tru in Chicago in 2007 where I wanted the full tasting menu and sacrificed my comfort to sit in the dining room to achieve that.  At that time, they did not offer the tasting menu int he bar.

As my third course was being served, the concierge greeted me and asked if there was anything they could do to improve my dining experience.  I asked if he would ask a gentleman across the restaurant to join me.  So he did.  I finished my 9 course tasting menu with a 19 year old kid, named Sam, who worked in their kitchen.  They wanted him to get the full experience of dining there and so that night he was a customer.  I felt like Mrs. Robinson!  We talked about food, dreams, life.  He considered pursuing a musician's life.  Conflicted, actually, on which path to pursue.

Or the night at Daniel in NYC.  I asked my friend, Manraj, to join me.  He told me he had plans when ijn reality, he was intimidated by the price.  He told me that later, lol. I went solo.  Met Daniel as he greeted me when I entered the establishment.  Ordered an orchid martini and a three course tasting menu.  As I knew the pastry chef the meal changed.  Suddenly three courses transformed into six.  With a tour of the restaurant to conclude.  It was amazing and an experience I will never forget.  The meal was comped since I was friends with the pastry chef.  

I did not tell my friend any of this.  Instead, I said that I loved dining in Chicago, NOLA, San Francisco, NYC and Dallas.  Reflecting, I think I could have easily said Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix, Nashville, Kansas City.  Or Montreal. I loved my time in Montreal.  

He mentioned Las Vegas and I was kicking myself for omitting Las Vegas.  I have dined there so many times and had incredible experiences.  I have gambled once and made money.  Other times, played slot machines, minimally, and watched others gamble.

Then there is the Korean Spa factor in Las Vegas, Denver and Dallas.  One of my favorite things on the planet. I believe in self-care and taking care of my skin.  Perhaps I could be a little better with lotion to moisturize but for the most part I baby my skin.  I consider circulation, hydration and movement.

I digress.  More than likely, I will think about food and places I have dined for the next few days.  I am taking a break from imbibing to feel better, productive and enhance my sleep.  So far, so good.

I have a class to teach.  I will return with more tangents later.

No comments: