Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Role models

I try to take a yoga class for my own personal practice at least once a month.  I feel that it keeps me grounded, inspired and spending a little bit of time on myself. (in this arena. Clearly, I believe in self care which reminds me. I should set up an appointment for a body scrub soon)

Yesterday, the class started and the instructor was speaking of how we all benefit from continuing to feel youthful as we age.  He suggested that in our 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's--it was practical to continue to strengthen and be viable.  Encouraged it to the point of being role models.  He repeated this several times during the session.  Be a role model.  Use your body.  Continue to strengthen and move.

There were examples, too.  There was a study where a group of older gentleman went to a resort. Instead of their baggage being taken care of, they were required to carry it themselves.  Within a few days, they felt as if twenty years had been stripped from their lives.  They felt youthful, capable, confident.

All of these things resonate with me.  I firmly believe in the physicality of life.  We slowly begin to die when we discontinue growing, learning or moving.  Being sedentary does nothing for us but begin the death dance.  Maybe I am being a little too morbid.  That is not my intention. I only want to stress the importance of movement, any movement, as we age.  

I intend to be a role model and continue to go upside down in my yoga practice.  I did, last night.  I just remembered that. They actually cued that early in the sequence which is rare.  Typically, going upside down for a length of time is reserved for the closing poses.  I have not attempted to teach a headstand in a class yet.  I think I hesitate to do it virtually due to obvious risks.  In person, is still infrequent outside of park yoga and that is a mixed level class.  I think when I am ready to attempt that teaching moment it will be with one student.  I would feel more comfortable.  Still, I love going upside down in my own practice. Sometimes, I tackle this while people are in savasana and cannot see me being narcissistic. I think that everyone is to some degree.  I prefer not to showcase it.  Moreover, truly, I am mostly comfortable showing off mainly in yoga.  Perhaps with bragging about how often I get a body scrub, too.  Sorry, for sounding so ridiculous right now.

I wanted to blog to avoid doing some other necessary creative tasks. I will get to it.  Just need to work up to it.

How can you be a role model?  Are you interested in continuing to display fitness, strength and wellness as you age?  Why do we put so much emphasis on being young?  I think, in some ways, I looked way better five years ago then I did in my early twenties.  And, I had the confidence to match when I was older.  No longer consumed by what other people thought.  We waste so much energy on thinking we want to be young.  Yet, we are navigating how to make things function while we are young.  We can still be reliant on our family and friends, to an extent, when we are young.  Relying on other people's opinions of what is right or wrong.  Instead of trusting yourself.  And, now with social media--wow, forget it!  I don't want to return to my 20's. I am excited to be exactly where I am at.  

I hope you enjoy your evening.  Spending it however you see fit.  Cheers!

No comments: