Thursday, December 8, 2022

Smling through it

I listened to a podcast earlier where the host said, even in times of stress or anger--smile through it.  For example, someone cuts you off.  Instead of cursing the person, smile.  Or you miss out on an opportunity or in more severe cases, your job.  Again, smile though it.  I guess, with hindsight, sure, smiling though it could work.  Yet, how often is that the default response?

I am a little road ragey--I can admit it.  Sometimes, I refrain from completely losing it on someone.  Mostly, as I do not know how they will react.  Yell, flip me off, follow me or the worst-case scenario, try to harm me.  

He did have a few valid points still.  Instead of dwelling in that negative frequency, smiling, would promote moving forward quicker.  You might avoid depression, anxiety, problems with sleep by focusing on the positive as opposed to lingering in the negative, ultimately, being a victim.  That was my takeaway.  How can I improve my situation and not be overridden with fear, doubt, anxiety?  

I was in a hurry to return to Denver from Santa Fe.  I had to work at the restaurant and didn't want to get stuck along 1-25.  I suppose that thought lingered in my mind that my car was not safe and that I was uncertain to return in a timely manner.  Driving at night and getting stuck somewhere did not seem appealing.  

Since I rushed back, I lost sight of some of the positivity.  Allowed my emotions to lurk in the victim mode.  The mechanic wasn't honest about the car he refurbished (I still know this.  He was not honest about the condition of the car and made no attempt to correct the situation.  His karma, not mine.), it was unfortunate that I got trapped in New Mexico (which was ridiculous, as I was safe and had shelter.  Even encouraged to stay longer), and what would I do if I didn't make it back to work at the restaurant?  Would they understand my situation or be irritated?

The desires to return to work and my routine overwhelmed me.  I can work anywhere in the world. I have my phone and am able to teach with that device.  Of course, having my laptop would secure the likelihood of my working from wherever, whenever I choose. I forced myself to hurry back only to find out that they didn't need me.  I created this story.  No one else participated in it.  It was all very woe is me, negative and stagnant.  Perhaps, had I smiled through it, I would have rebounded quicker.

My car did pass emissions.  I am back in Denver--safe, healthy and teaching.  I have ideas for 2023 and opportunities today.  Maybe smiling through it is more productive.  I hope to try this as situations out of my control develop.  It truly is about mindset and how you choose to react.  

No comments: