Friday, March 11, 2022

Mexican food and lack of souvenirs....

A week ago, I was driving from Pensacola to Dallas.  Attempting to stay in bed, I hit my snooze button a few additional times which proved to be a mistake in the long run.  That drive was pretty insurmountable. I kept looking at how much longer it would take for me to arrive.  Essentially it was eleven plus hours.  I left at 4:45 ish and arrived around 4 pm in Dallas.  I knew that Melanie had to pick up her son from school and so I lingered making my way into the city. I cannot remember which podcast I was listening to, but I was wanting to conclude the episode.

I found a market to peruse.  I did not want to show up empty handed.  Uncertain about stocking up on wine or food, I picked up some flowers. I think flowers are always a safe bet to express gratitude. They are beautiful and brighten people's days.

Moreover, I did not know if we were making dinner at her home or going out to dinner.  All I knew was that I was exhausted and ready to settle in for the night.  She suggested a nearby mexican restaurant which if you know me is definitely in my wheel house.  Mexican food is one thing that is almost nonexistent in Florida.  Sure, they say they have mexican restaurants but they are lackluster.  I prefer a more robust salsa and diverse flavors.  I am very grateful for what I am exposed to in Denver and the southwest.

We did try one spot in St. Petersburg due to being hungover.  Chips and salsa are always a fantastic way to refuel.  The decor was lovely and lively.  Our server overshared his lifestyle which was surprising.  He actually told us how much money he made the day before which seemed odd since we had not even ordered our beverages.  He was an entertaining guy.  Seemed at ease with all of his tables which was refreshing.  The chips and salsa were fine. The guacamole came out of a bag (this is not a great representation of what guacamole can be).  I wanted soup which they did not offer to reserve space for brunch items and I was not hungry enough to commit to a taco plate.  Instead, I decided to try the avocado toast with over easy eggs. I visualized beautiful avocado slices, perfectly cooked over easy eggs and pico de gallo.

What I received--the bagged guacamole smeared on cuban toast with overcooked eggs and some pico de gallo. Visually unattractive.  All of my friends commented on it, lol  The best part was receiving the bill and realizing that the mimosa with grapefruit juice became a glass of grapefruit juice.  No bubbles.  Looking back, it was odd to receive a pint glass filled with ice and mimosa. In my defense,  I have been places where this is how they serve brunch mimosas.  Oh well, it was a fun time.

I eat a lot of mexican food in my diet.  I love the availability of it in Denver and truly enjoy it.  So, trying out a spot in Dallas seemed like a fantastic idea to me.  They offered a trio of mini frozen margaritas which Melanie enjoyed.  I thought I would be overloaded on the mix.  I chose a chambord margarita and eventually a glass of wine. The tableside guacamole was  lovely.  

I regret not picking up souvenirs from my road trip.  Every time I thought about it, the gas station did not offer them.  Finally, I picked up postcards from Colorado to send to my friends that joined me on the trip.  Ironic to send it from my home state. I wanted to do something to commemorate the adventure.  Next time, I will do better.  

I could have picked up souvenirs in Tarpon Springs, Florida.  It was a heavily trafficked tourist area and I was itching to get back on the road.  Plus, the thought of forcing my friends to walk through the souvenir shop also stopped that desire.  I was ready to get on the road.  In hindsight, I should have made it happen.

There are so many experiences and memories that I hope to reflect on.  It helps me with focus, clarity and creating content. I have been meditating, reading and transitioning my focus. Reflecting on my life is a huge part of the process.  Maybe you are entertained?  Maybe not?  At any rate, I need to make this a habit and continue on my path.

Enjoy your Friday.  I am off to teach and then work at the restaurant.  Life is grand!


No comments: