Thursday, March 31, 2022

Name associations and reflections

I have been thinking about this all week.  Ironically, I cannot even remember who said this to me.  

Let me back up.  Recently, I went into a situation where I had to introduce myself.  I said my name.  The person responded that it was quite the name to live up to....who says that?  I remember feeling uncertain with how to respond.  What response is acceptable in this case?  You are making me defend my name and I don't even know you.

When I was a kid, sure, I did not love my name.  I wanted a more normal name like some of my classmates.  Although, not Jaime, Jenny, or Amy. Those names were already saturated in my age group.  As I got older, though, I loved that my name was unique.  Actually, all of my sisters and I all had nontraditional names when we were named.  Now, Michaela and Jasmin are definitely more mainstream.  Perhaps, Jade is still atypical.  

And, I consider my partner's name, too, when thinking about names I want to be associated with.  I am that weird.  I reflect on that from watching something recently where the father asks his daughter the name of her date.  She tells him Chad.  The dad, is like--what kind of normal name is that?  I don't know.  I am overthinking.

From not drinking, I am productive.  Overanalyzing.  Reflecting.  Contemplating.  Reading a little more and listening to a slew of podcasts.  I am a fan of the wondery series but am finding that I have listened to a fair amount of their offerings.  I attempted one today that dealt with cancer and sex. I just couldn't get into it.  

Discouraged, I returned to my love of music.  Lately, I have been listening to Leon Bridges.  Soulful, sexy and easy to listen to.  Sara Jo introduced me to him when I was in Florida.  Sara Jo always has great music and book recommendations.  She confers with her brothers and I have benefitted greatly from their taste in both music and books.

I walked City Park this morning and had a little bit of time this afternoon to do another small loop. It was a gorgeous day in Denver and I wanted to absorb more vitamin D. I dropped off flyers for the upcoming Saturday morning sessions.  We will alternate between the bar and City Park.  It is all weather dependent.  And, timing wise, I know that my clients are wanting to start closer to 9 then 9:30.  A few times this has happened.  Damn, that Jordan!  I kid.  Jordan has been wonderful to me.  Faithfully, getting up early on Saturday mornings to open up and bar so that I can teach yoga.  He's a young man and has Friday nights off.  I know he has an active social life and yet, he still manages to show up and allow us to do yoga where he bartends.  

It has been fantastic.  I was able to transition from the outdoor space to a spot that was incredibly welcoming.  Meeting a few new people from my association with that bar.  All, in all, very positive.  So, maybe it is time to return to the park.  

I embrace my name and how I choose to live up to it.  Still, makes me laugh the assumption that I need to illustrate to someone that I do not know that I am worthy of my name.  



No comments: