Thursday, March 17, 2022

The importance of refueling with good food

It's Restaurant Week.  Ten days to check out restaurants at a discounted price.  It started out as dinner for two costing $52.80.  Cute reflection of the mile high city.  And it worked.  Drawing people to experience high end restaurants at a fraction of the cost.  Originally, I believe it was three courses, too.

Due to evolving, eventually, it became a three tiered system. The pricing reflective of $25, $35 and $45. And there are ways to add on more to the price.  Wine pairings, discounted bottles of wine, etc. It still is challenging to dine without spending the minimum of a $100 for the experience.  I think that is a more honest reflection of what dining out is.  Sure, it would be fantastic to have a three course meal for $52.80--especially now.  However, you will not be able to achieve this anywhere unless you are frequenting fast food chains and not drinking.  Drinking alone maximizes the price.  

It was always at the end of February.  I could rely on missing the majority of it since that is the only day I recognize as a mandatory day off for me.  I never work February 28th.  I haven't in sixteen years and do not plan on changing it.

Then the pandemic happened.  I was in Barcelona and missed the majority of the promotion week.  2021 it shifted to April which was odd but manageable. This year, instead of returning to the original time frame it moved a few weeks.  Making me available to work.  

It is fast paced and you meet many new people.  If I were younger, I think I could recover easier.  I am struggling to get ample sleep and the refueling factor that is being offered is hurting me, too.  I acknowledge that everyone is tired and wanting to leave when the shift is over.  The kitchen does as much, if not more, of the work.  They prep for the shift, constantly are cleaning, than service begins and they are plating food, cleaning dishes, keeping things moving.  Three courses is demanding for them as well.  

After the shift, I am famished.  I wish they would make a salad, maybe grilled chicken.  Something that is fresh and healthy.  I understand their desire to put up what is fast.  One night we tried to order pizza but waited too long to make this happen. My co-worker was on hold for 6-8 minutes before they informed her that they would not honor our order.  

Discouraged but not defeated, another co-worker asked her husband to pick up pizza for us on Tuesday night.  It tastes great to have something hearty. But, I do not eat pizza anymore.  Very infrequent desire.  So, I eat that, and it tastes phenomenal since I am starving and then the next day, my stomach is upset and I feel like I have a food coma.  Not a hangover, a food coma.  I felt sluggish and lacked energy.  Instead of leaning into that, I met Roxanne for lunch.  We ordered ramen and the soup was delicious.  It reinvigorated me.

In addition, I have been juicing which is helping me recover.  I recognize from past experience if I sleep poorly and refuel with food that I typically do not eat, that I break down my immune system and either get sick or experience laryngitis. Not a fan of that. Especially the laryngitis.

I'll quit being a baby.  Truly, I am thankful for the work and opportunity to supplement my income.  I want to do more pop ups and this definitely helps me accomplish this.  I will do better at ensuring that I am properly refueling.  I must drink a few bottles of water during the shift. I know that that would improve my sleep and bounce back factor.

They do their best with what they have.  And, I am atypical.  I know what my body needs to recover.  When asked what foods I would like to see being made and answered honestly--fruits and vegetables.  Something that is fresh, one of the kitchen guys laughed at me.  I know that I would need to eat many vegetables to fill full but I was being honest.  Having something fresh sounds way better than eating pizza at 10:30 pm.

It is sustainable and an affirmation that I am getting better at knowing what tastes good and is fuel for the body.  I see a juice detox in my future!

No comments: