Friday, October 27, 2023

Consistency and other food issues

Continuing with the ripple effect.  Opting to create the life I want instead of settling for what is known or familiar to me.  

Not always easy.  Nor does it make sense.  When you pave your own path, you are entering unchartered territory.  Or, I have always considered it that way.  There is not a handbook on how to navigate the unconventional path.  Yet, it is the way that I have always preferred.  

In hindsight, maybe, I wish I had spent more time cooking at home.   I believe my body is a temple and I have done well by it for the most part.  However, in all honesty, I have been lazy.  Relying on what is convenient instead of what is best for me when it comes to nutrition.  Working in restaurants that offer staff meals groom you to eat whatever is put in front of you since you are hungry.  Even if you don't like goulash.  Or hot dogs (a high-end restaurant that will remain unnamed on a weekly basis offered that as staff meal at least once a week.  I loathed that option.  It was disrespectful in my option.  Especially since they did not have hot dogs on the menu.  It felt like the management believed we would eat anything.)  The best restaurant meal was probably the first restaurant I worked in.  FIfi's was the premier fine dining restaurant in Lawrence, Kansas, when I attended college.  Wine spectator awards, the best calamari, and the special occasion restaurant that everyone wanted to go to.  They made us whatever we wanted.  With the exception, if there had been an off-site event, we would eat what was offered at the event.  I was spoiled.  I learned how to make a martini, open a wine bottle (properly) and had access to phenomenal food.

I intend to do better.  More cooking at home, earlier in the day, and possibly changing how I eat.  Focus on the vegetables first, then the proteins and fats, before finishing with starch.  I listened to a podcast earlier about glucose and the importance of getting that in order.  Avoiding diabetes, a hormone imbalance and extra weight gain.  

Believe me, I have struggled for about a year to contend with that.  Trying to figure out where this sugar belly is coming from and how to minimize it.  After listening to the podcast, I am considering changing up not only how I eat but making sure that I get movement following a meal.  A walk, squats, dancing.... anything that stimulates movement.  The podcast also suggested drinking apple cider vinegar in water prior to the meal.  Actually, I do not mind drinking apple cider vinegar in water.  It was not a shock to me or something I thought was out of bounds.  I am curious to see if these small changes make a difference. I believe they will.  

This evening I loaded up my stirfry with broccoli and bell peppers.  I attempted to pick out the vegetables, first.  Then proceed with the rice.   It will be interesting to see how I feel after making a few tweaks.

Enjoy your night!

No comments: