Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Staying the course

Donation class is at 9:30. September represents hedonism and indulgence for me each year.  Possibly since it is my birthday month and I tend to go all out.  Even when I try to temper my tendencies, I still am excessive.  

October begins and I am forced to reassess my priorities.  Rest, reset, recalibrate.  Specifically, this year, it is a must.  I spent ten days in Santa Fe celebrating the wine and chile festival. Wine seminars, tastings and bubbles.  Nonstop celebrating.  And I loved every minute of it.  To conclude my visit, we soaked at 10,000 Waves in a private tub.  Also, a tradition it seems.  

Now, I must scale it back.  It has been a soberish beginning to this month.  Soberish in that I am slowing down.  Instead of dining out, I am preparing food at home.  I found a cabbage and rice recipe that is surprisingly good.  Cabbage is not normally in my rotation of foods that I prepare.  I am trying to cut down on waste which is inspiring me to try new things.  The cabbage was utilized in a tuna and onion salad, too.  It has been interesting to experiment with flavors and see what works best.  The pressure cooker cabbage and rice suggested using Indian spices.  Cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger, turmeric all were incorporated into the dish.  I would tweak it and go heavier on the spices.  That would be my preference.

Walking more and hoping to lessen my carbon footprint.  Sometimes it is impossible to not drive.  For example, my eye exam last week was in Littleton at 8 am.  The bus could have worked but it would have been a very early morning for me.  Plus, I had a sunrise class to teach and other obligations before heading to the appointment.  

I know there is room for improvement and that I can do better.  Each day.  I can do better, and I intend to string along some days to become consistent.  I must be consistent.  

I refuse to return to my old habits.  They are enticing and I see them, clearly, beckoning me to distract myself with them.  Like a siren song.  Seriously, I walked to Trader Joe's earlier this morning which is located next to a wine bar.  Briefly, I thought about what the harm is in stopping by for one glass of wine.  Instead of pursuing that tangent, I continued with my errands.  Maybe I am committed to creating new habits.

I know that I will need to change it up and add other foods to my week.  I will not sustain on cabbage and rice alone.  Cooking at home is such a huge change up for my routine.  May I consider that enough of a change and reward myself?  Any advice?  I am tempted to pick up a nebbiolo to enjoy with my red sauce.  

No comments: