Saturday, October 14, 2023

Make your own

Listening to podcasts has been helpful.  Increasing my positivity, inspiring new recipes and making my own nut milk.  Yes, I listened to a podcast about restaurants and how they trick you with some of the wording of the menu.  How some use a blend of olive oil instead of pure olive oil.  The woman they interviewed gave couple hacks to use at home which included making your own nut milk.  I have been buying almond or cashew milk for the last few years in an attempt to decrease my dairy intake.  I abstained from eating cheese until I started dating Tom.  It seems unavoidable now.  He lives on a diet of nachos, tostadas, burritos.  All of which includes cheese.  So, I have become less restrictive of that dietary requirement.

I was intrigued by the nut milk recipe and its simplicity.  Why had I not considered doing this before?  It is mandatory to purchase organic nut butter or tahini.  I found a decent product at Trader Joe's that was affordable.  Take a quarter cup of tahini, three cups of water and blend.  Simple enough.  I think I will have to blend it again before use.  She also suggested adding turmeric and enjoying that concoction before bedtime.  I do love turmeric.  It has been difficult to find in Santa Fe, but I can usually find it in Denver.  Sometimes, Sprout's.  Typically, Natural Grocers or H Mart. 

There are products that I keep on hand.  Ginger, garlic, onions, turmeric and some sort of citrus.  Mandatory for juicing and mirepoix.  I have experimented with soups, sauces and simple meals.  I see more use of my pressure cooker that I purchased in 2016 to make kitchari.  I need to expand my comfort with preparing protein.  As we move into autumn and winter, I will use my stove and oven.  During the summer it doesn't make sense to add heat into my apartment.  As noted, I do not enjoy the comforts of air conditioning since my landlord will not allow it.  However, she has air conditioning which is a conflict in my mind.  I can suffer through the summer while she has no clue to the amount of heat is within the building.

Do more with less and create your happiness.  I have to remind myself (sometimes) that I chose to be in the exact position that I am in now.  I had to move beyond my limitations.  The doubt that surrounds me is all encompassing when I am sleeping.  I need help getting out of my own way.  Any suggestions?

I will update you on how the nut milk works out.  I might need a bigger blender to make it better.  We shall see.  Enjoy your Saturday.  Cheers!  🍷🍷🍷

No comments: