Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Yoga, happy hour and insomnia

Last night's happy hour was fantastic.  Initially, I believed that seven to nine people would attend the yoga happy hour.  As the day progressed, I received a few text messages informing me that a few people would be unable to attend.  Mandatory work events, contending with family issues or work prohibited them from attending.  I appreciated the heads up but was disappointed that I would have fewer people attend.  Still, it was great.  I had four people show up and the energy was amazing.  Solid flow, decent music mix and a fun happy hour to finish.

I prepped seven-layer Greek dip, a cream cheese mold with bacon, scallions and parmesan, cowboy caviar and a light watermelon salad to finish.  Isaac brought sparkling wine and I offered a spanish red wine, vino verde and tequila (of course).  The seven dip and cheese mold were the fan favorites.  Tom made his family recipe which I knew would be delicious but terrible for you.  And it was.  

As much as I enjoy teaching yoga (I do), I love the community networking about the same amount.  Last night the majority of us are around the same age and share similar viewpoints about life, experience, the current state of affairs.  There was one student who is younger than the rest of us by a considerable amount.  I have watched him evolve and mellow through the last few years.  He offers insight and listens as opposed to talking over people if that makes sense.  I truly believe he enjoys attending the sessions and spending time with all of my clients.  One of my other clients is witty, dry and full of entertaining stories.  He never ceases to amaze me.

I watched game seven of the national league series.  Happy with the results as I have always been a Diamondback fan from my first stint in Phoenix from 99-01.  It is exciting to see new teams in the final series.  

Returning home, I cleared out my car and enjoyed another glass of wine.  Fell asleep on my couch and woke up around 3, unable to sleep.  I knocked over my water glass at 5:30 when the alarm went off.  Forgot to change days for the alarm which was not a welcome way to wake up.  I had finally fallen back to sleep.  Too lazy to deal with the water on my floor, I wiped off my phone, moved my laptop and prayed that my phone was not damaged.  I did not relish the idea of returning to T-mobile to have a third phone this year.  

Insomnia has been a recurring problem for me as of late.  My mind refuses to switch off.  I think of work, travel, friends from high school.  This morning, I had a phone dream around 6:30 as a result of the spilling water on my table...ugh.  I think I finally woke up at 7:45 which is late in my world.  Jacked up my day.  Then a few clients had to reschedule which threw me into a self-induced funk.  

That and catching up on the speaker vote was a trifle depressing.  I forced myself to listen to another podcast which was more uplifting and helpful.  I needed it.  I needed the reminder of why I chose to be on this path and provided some food for thought.   The man spoke of echos and how we create where we are, today, from our habits from 60 to 90 days ago.  Reflecting on that, it does make sense.  Some of my habits went to the wayside.  I was lenient with my consistency of following up with clients.  I knew I wanted a change but not how to do it.  It is time to think about where I want to be in six months.  Not worry about how to make it happen, but where I want to be.

Tonight, I will be in bed early.  Fully hydrated and relaxed.  I have written a list of tasks for tomorrow and know it is going to be a great day.  

No comments: