Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Holidays

 Holidays are here.

I thought I had a grand plan. I had been assigned the task of bringing dessert to the friendsgiving.  I mentioned that I had little interest in traditional pumpkin or apple pie.  The hostess responded that she wasn't making turkey!  😂

At that point, I decided I could definitely go the unconventional route.  I considered my options.  There is a coffee shop with the best cookies in Denver (in my opinion) or Whole Foods was opening at 6 a.m.  Honestly, that sounded cruel and unusual. Yet, I still considered driving to Cherry Creek after my sunrise yoga class. With further thought, I knew there was a smaller market or greek restaurant.  Both of which offer great carrot cake.

So, I was leisurely this morning.  Taught a few classes and then showered.  I drove to Park Hill to pick up carrot cake. Apparently, I wasn't the only person with this thought.  I walked in, assessed the 30 people in line, and did an about face.  I just couldn't do it.  I couldn't stand in line for 25 minutes for one item. I could feel myself getting claustrophic. 

Instead, I drove to the coffee shop and looked over their baked goods.  Cookies, carrot cake and a few other options.  One person in line in front of me.  Then I could pick and choose what spoke to  me.  Carrot cake, three cookies and waldorf astoria cake (in honor my niece, Emma. I have a picture from her first birthday where she attacks a waldorf astoria cupcake.  That girl loved cake, lol).  Done! No more parking or interacting with people on the hunt for food.

I treated myself to lunch.  I had considered meeting up with one friend.  We had communicated in the morning and than she went radio silent.  Instead of fixating on that, I went to a nearby wine bar and treated myself to a salad.  She and her husband are hosting thanksgiving tomorrow and so I know she has an abundance of stuff to sort through.  However, she could have easily sent a text back.  Regardless.

It was still fairly early.  A good time to pop in and not be too distracted. Ample parking (thankfully) and plenty of seating at the bar.  Within an hour, it started to fill up.  They have a staging area where you can sit or wait for your table.  A group of 8 sat down.  Two ladies in arm chairs and six people across from them.  I watched as each of the six, grabbed their phones and started scrolling.  It was ridiculous.  And it continued.  They, individually, kept staring at their phones.  I watched for, at least, twenty minutes.  Nonstop phone distraction.

Please do yourself a favor--if you are spending time with friends or family during the next few days--be present.  Put your phone away.  Make eye contact. Have a conversation.  Have we learned nothing from the last year?  

We always want what we can't have...a year ago, people were upset about being locked down, isolated and unable to socialize.  This year, we can socialize.  So what is stopping you from being present with your loved ones?  It was interesting to watch.  The gentleman next to me had the same sentiment as I did after I made a point to say something about it.

Take time and enjoy your people!  On a side note--my godparents are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on the 26th.  My dad brought it up on eight different occasions.  Don't worry. I sent a card.  It totally made me chuckle.

I suppose I am ranting about being present because we can never retrieve time.  So hold your people close, love your life and enjoy good food.

No comments: