Friday, November 12, 2021

Reading, making changes and reflecting

 My friend, Lindsay, gave me a book for my birthday.  Natural Causes, by Barbara Ehrenreich, and although I was intrigued by the title, I stuck it under a stack of clutter on my coffee table.  Folders, yoga prep, yoga journals, other books, etc. scattered around my work space.  I tried to get into a finance book but couldn't do it.  I think I am actually going to have to take a timer and force myself to focus on that task.  

I prefer reading fiction or subjects that interest me.  Finance should be of interest.  It is. Just not something that I set aside time to read about.  I struggled to get interested and considered my other options.  What other books do I have lying around?  I picked up Natural Causes and did not want to put it down.  It is interesting and most of it did resonate with my thoughts regarding health, the medical industry and pharmaceuticals. I am still reading it so I won't say much more on the topic.  Outside of the fact that I am enjoying it.  And it is helping me focus on some of the changes I hope to make.  Less watching, more doing. 

I recognized last week, I rarely walked City Park. The weather was not awful so there was no reason to not walk.  I think I was in a funk.  It was easier to be social to avoid dealing with some of the internal stuff.  I could meet up for a wine lunch to distract myself from being sad.  I hope to rectify a situation with a certain someone soon (as noted in an earlier post. However, I cannot rush this.)  Instead of reaching out to him, I tried to not think about it.  I believe that we will talk soon.  Patience is becoming a virtue.  

This break also allows me time to focus on my goals.  Health, wellness, investing, having a positive mindset, writing, doing more, thinking less.  I know my patterns.  It is always easy to return to what is known.  I have my entire life.  I can revert to this pattern of working for other people and take time off for me.  Rinse.  Recycle.  Repeat.  

I have benefitted from this, too.  The flexibility of my schedule enabled a life well traveled until the last year and a half.  But the service industry is hard on the body.  At least for me it is.  I am so thankful for my health and I continue to work on it.  

Ironically, the Natural Causes book eventually addresses smoking.  I have never been a smoker.  I know people find it relaxing.  It never appealed to me.  And I have worked with hundreds of people who never missed a smoke break, lol. The most apparent irritation with that aspect of that was when I worked at the airport. I would be done, ready to clock out and bounce but a few co-workers needed a smoke break before I was able to leave.  Always a 20 minute endeavor, at least.  I think I was probably the most resentful of smokers at that job.  

It is a beautiful day in Denver.  I am thankful to be outside, reflect and plan.  Making small changes daily does help. Day #3 of blogging.

No comments: