Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Urban living

 I have been semi-consistent with walking City Park.  It gives me the opportunity to listen to a podcast,get movement and vitamin D.  Multi-tasking at its best.

Today, I opted to walk to Argonaut instead of driving.  I thought I was smart in leaving my house early to head to the market.  It was not early enough!  Already, crowded parking lot and people unable to walk at a fast pace with their shopping carts.  I was a little claustrophobic.  I could not get out of the store fast enough.

To avoid another stressful situation, I chose to walk to Argonaut.  Beautiful day and I had ample choices in my podcasts listening enjoyment.  The way there was uneventful. I encountered a few people walking around the city.  

At Argonaut, I selected a bottle of tequila and a bottle of wine.  I am attending a Friendsgiving tomorrow night and wanted to bring a bottle of tequila to the meet up.  I had told my friend that I would pick out an unconventional dessert and her response was--good, I am not making turkey for the meal.  Tequila seemed like it should be in order.

At any rate, I began my return home.  I walked out of the liquor store and headed east along Colfax.  Immediately, I sensed my mistake.  There were people just hanging out on the street.  I tried to assess my best route--where to cut up to 14th.  Multiple side streets had groups of people hanging out.  I kept heading East with my head up and tried to avoid any conflict.  As I approached Downing, I saw a guy under an awning standing near a tree. His bag was up against the building.  I figured it would be better to walk outside of him instead of against the building.  I walked around the outside and realized that I had narrowly missed him urinating on the tree.  Urban living at its finest!

After that encounter, I veered up a side street and didn't care if I ran into a group of men or not.  I returned to 14th St and felt safer and more at ease.  Not to say that anyone approached me or made me feel endangered.  It just felt like there was an odd vibe on Colfax that I wanted to avoid.

The next day and half could be chaotic.  Be kind.  Try to avoid falling into road rage, grocery cart rage or unpleasantness of any kind.  Maybe bag your own groceries.  I have a new items to pick up in the next day.  Overall, I am ready to just enjoy being around friends and drinking good wine.

I am thankful I did not see the man peeing on the tree.  It did make me smile, still....urban living, lol


No comments: