Monday, December 6, 2021

Monday's question and a lazy day

What advice on life would I give to myself, if I was a mother and wished nothing but happiness for my child?  

Hmmmm....maybe, be kind always.  Do what makes you happy.  Resist the urge to please others and set off on your own path.  That one resonates the most.  Do the unconventional thing.

I do not know that we are supposed to do what we are told to do.  If I listened to what I am supposed to do I would be married, raising a family and putting most of my energy into providing a family.  For many people, that works.  For me, it never spoke to me.  I am thankful for my parents, my siblings and my nieces and nephews.  Motherhood just was not for me.   

I knew when I left for college that I wanted to travel.  I would not return to my hometown and make a life.  In fact, I had planned to travel for six months in 2001 after I graduated from college.  I had everything set up.  First stop, Athens and from there I would take the eurorail wherever I chose. I think I had arranged a hotel for the first few nights.  From there, the world was wide open.  

That trip sort of went sideways after 9/11.  I ended up in Denver as a result which is a whole other story.  Talk about the road not taken.  I do not regret one minute of the choices I have made.  I have incredible experiences as a result.  Or incredible to me.  I should clarify that.  Had I gotten married young, I honestly, have no idea where I would be.  I still believe I would have wanted to move out of the midwest.  My fantasy world would suggest ending up in Europe or Asia.  I loved spending time in Vietnam a few years ago.  I could see myself there.

Currently, I am in Denver.  And, I do love it.  Great support network and it has been home to me for the last 20 years, off and on.  If I leave, I always yearn to return.  I think I am projecting some sort of wanderlust vibe though. In the last week, four people have asked me if I am returning to Santa Fe.  

I am not.  Maybe later in life.  I do find refuge in Santa Fe.  It has always been an oasis for me.  A place to reset, reflect, rejuvenate.  When I lived there, it was a little too small for me at this point in my life.  I lived there for a year and a half before returning to Denver.  I knew that I would make my way home.

I would continue to recommend the unconventional life.  I am so thankful for where it has lead me.  I don't know that I would have traveled to South Africa, Cambodia, Cuba or Australia had I been more traditional.

That is all for now.  I figure I should move on to my next task.


No comments: