Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Tuesday question

What does happiness mean to me?

Interesting question.  Sometimes it seems kismet how these questions occur.  I shuffle the deck a few times and then cut the cards in half.  Randomness at its best.  I have been watching Succession and was on the episode where they contemplate happiness.  When I chose this today, I felt it was appropriate.  Seemed serendipitous.

Happiness is being able to wake up and decide how I want to spend the day.  Meet a friend for a walk, do administration work, drink wine at lunch, plan a trip.  Do yoga. Bask in the sunshine.  Bond with nature.  Read a book.  Communicate with friends--old and new.  Eat carrot cake.  Or peanut butter cookies.  I managed to snag a few cookies for a friendsgiving last month.  I think my friends were surprised at how delicious the cookies were from the coffee shop I frequent.

Next week, for the winter solstice I have an early morning session to honor the day and a happy hour session.  It will be a day centered on meditation and movement.  Lots of movement. I am excited to see how I feel after completing sun salutations.  I think it will range from 108-150.  I offered to teach complete sessions--108 each time.  I don't know if we will fulfill it.

Happiness is even working at times.  It is social, interactive and exposing me to new foods.  Sometimes, it isn't fantastic. The food factor.  But, being fed is wonderful and for the most part, the current place I am working, provides great food.  They haven't declined to providing hot dogs on a weekly basis (not mentioning where that occurred) or punishing you for eating bread during service (not mentioning this place either).  

I created a new smoothie combination this morning. I woke up with the knowledge that I wanted to incorporate beets and spinach to whatever I threw together.  I needed to increase my iron this week.  I added avocado, banana, blueberry, ginger, basil and bell pepper.  It was delicious.  I have not had an avocado in my smoothie for the last month.  I have missed it.  It adds a lovely texture to the mix.  

Choosing happiness is happiness.  November was a difficult month for me.  I struggled to stay the course I set on earlier this year.  Then I tried to self-destruct with negative thinking and drinking wine.  I suppose I am growing since I am able to recognize my tendencies and ability to return to comfort.  

It is a beautiful day in Denver.  I am about to leave for a meet up/walkabout.  I have a yoga class later and perhaps some wine in the future.  Life is grand!


No comments: