Sunday, January 9, 2022

Sober January--what I have learned so far

Day #8 of not drinking this month.  Maybe I thought it would be more difficult to do.  Limiting my social interactions possibly has aided the process.  But, realistically, I am okay.  I even increased the amount of days.  Initially, I planned on concluding this experiment on January 23rd--two weeks from today.  Midway through last week, I contemplated adding more days.  It feels right.  I am sleeping better, get up feeling refreshed and have been cooking more at home. I should curtail some of the sugar intake.  I have the perfect opportunity to truly eat clean and see how eliminating sugar, white flour, gluten affects my body.  I purchased popcorn and blue corn tortilla chips and they have been my downfall.  I love chips and salsa!

I participated in a little home self-care yesterday. My friend, Rachel, gave me a goodie bag for christmas.  I receive facials from her every other month or so and she treated her clients to a fantastic assortment of self-care products.  It was ideal. There was a hand hydrator and a foot driven product.  Both of these speak my language.  My hands could use some TLC as of late.  They look dehydrated, dry, etc..the hand salve was perfect.  She included a sugar scrub for lips, too.  It was a very thoughtful gift bag.

I am trying to be an adult this month.  I know, hard to believe, but necessary.  I set up my annual vision appointment (something that I always manage to do.  I believe in healthy eyes even if I loathe the obgyn and dentist).  My optometrist retired last year after the pandemic hit.  Prior to that he was semi-retired. I had been seeing him since 2003 or 2004.  Him retiring was difficult for me.  I have an opportunity to seek out a new optometrist or stay at his practice. Originally, I wanted to try out someone new. I have met a few optometrists from working at high end bars.  Then, I realized, why leave?  They have all of my files at their office.  They have been really good to me over the years.  Why not try out their new guy?

I also figured out an acupuncture appointment. This is something, electively, I have been thinking about.  It has been since 2018 that I have received acupuncture.  My ankle was jacked up and I was trying to heal it without going to a doctor.  I can be incredibly stubborn for those of you who don't know me.  I have difficulty going to the doctor willingly.  

Acupuncture is fantastic.  I feel that I need a sort of reset.  And, timing wise, it should work out great.  No drinking, ample hydration and some eating clean.

Planning my road trip is getting more interesting.  I think we are going to try to make paella one of the nights.  A way to honor our trip to Barcelona.  It was such an epic trip.  The food was incredible.  I hope we attempt a meal that includes vermouth, olives, tuna and potato salad, sardines, even. We sampled our way through the city.  Maybe this trip we will include other cuisines to truly honor food.  I am inspired!

I want to expand my culinary skills.  It is time.  I am great at cooking the things I enjoy but why am I not doing more?  A question to ponder while enjoying this beautiful Sunday.  I have a class this afternoon and some other admin stuff to attend to. I might post another insert since I was lazy yesterday.  We shall see...

No comments: