Friday, January 14, 2022

Fun memory associated with money

In 2012 or 13 (I think), my friend, Christina and I chose to meet for Valentine's Day.  Her man was out of town.  We wanted to meet for dinner and celebrate our friendship.  We were not too concerned about the fact that it was V Day.  

There was this great trendy Vietnamese restaurant in Phoenix.  Of course, it was busy but we were able to sit barside.  Neither of us were looking glamorous.  I think I was wearing yoga pants and a tank top.  Christina and I met because she was one of my supplier representative friends.  We had mutual friends from the industry and both of us loved yoga.  We had attended several classes together.

We each order a prosecco and share lettuce wraps and a few other items.  The place was packed and we were seated next to this couple that seemed a little off.  The woman had huge hair.  We joked that they must be from Texas. Her hair was from the 80's and we talked about it a few times while enjoying our meal.  

We each order another prosecco.  By no means were we going all out.  Just enjoying our version of V Day.  The couple next to us eventually leaves.   We ask for our check and the bartender informs us that our check had been taken care of--the big hair couple bought our dinner to pay it forward.  And it wasn't like we were at Starbucks.  It wasn't a $30 endeavor, lol.

I felt bad for making such a fuss over her hair.  It was a lovely gesture and appreciated.  A reminder that you never know the situation of people.  You can think you know based on shallow, superficial judgments. Affirming being kind, always.  And having our meal paid forward was pretty great when I think about Valentine's Day.  Normally, I shirk away from that day.  Or, I end up working.

What is a fun memory for you where something was paid for unexpectedly?  Or you enjoyed an experience that you didn't pay for?  It is fun to think about.  I have been fortunate in my life to enjoy.

No comments: