Sunday, January 23, 2022

Sunday activities

Sundays are always impulsive.  Sometimes, I try to make a plan and stick to it.  Rarely does it happen.  Today was better than normal.  I scheduled two classes--one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I sent out the zoom links and prepared the classes. My friend, Andrea, is moving back to North Carolina.  The last two Sundays we have met for a walk around City Park.  Andrea is consistent with her commitments and since I know she is moving back home, I couldn't rain check this commitment.

Another friend reached out to see if I would be interested in walking today.  I calculated the time between classes, necessary tasks/chores and offered to meet Janna after 3 pm, like 3:30. I didn't want to walk when it was dark and 3:30 seemed like a good time.  I forgot to factor in the playoff games.  Immediately, she responded that she would prefer meeting at 3.  We compromised and met at 3:15. I rushed to meet her following my afternoon class.  Everything was going well until I hit downtown.  Traffic jammed up as an ambulance was trying to navigate the corridor.  I was patient and figured if I was a few minutes late it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I arrived.  There were many people at Sloan's Lake this afternoon.  Janna brought her dog, Bodhi, and he kept a great pace.  It's rare to walk with a friend and their dog and keep up a brisk pace.  Especially male dogs.  Bodhi was great!

We walked fast. I think she was concerned about missing any of the game.  I understand it.  I do.  I mean, I am the same way when it comes to college basketball.  I want to see every second of the game!

When we returned to our cars, I had the urge to urinate.  I knew there were porta potties near the parking lot from past experience.  Apparently, they had been taken out.  Still they have a brick and mortar that had bathrooms.  I told Janna goodbye and ran over to the building.  Locked.  Of course!  

Instead of freaking out, I repeated (in my mind) that I was okay and would make it home.  I left Sloan's Lake and headed back downtown to head east to my house.  Everything was going well.  I managed to get around the idiots who do not know how to drive in a city. I was about a mile from my house on 14th St. when this guy decided to stop in the left lane.  I almost lost my mind!  Infuriating.  I had to pee and wanted to hit this guy for his lack of consideration for other drivers.  Namely, me!

I did make it home without incident.  Thankfully.  As noted, recently, maybe yesterday, I feel conflicted about cooking at home or relying on take out.  Today, I opted for utilizing leftover rice and creating a new dish.  Vegetable fried rice.  Delicious.  I think this is now in the rotation of what I enjoy to eat.

One final week of January.  I haven't struggled until thinking about being finished with it.  Today, for example, I thought, maybe I could have a glass of wine since originally my goal was to conclude sober January today.  After some reconsideration, I decided to stay the course.  I am enjoying the sleep and am trying to extend my habits.  I must read this week.  I have been lackluster in my abilities to finish tasks when it comes to learning.  There are 15 books on my coffee table.  I need to actually read them to create space in my house.

More tasks for next week.  I figure it will all work out!  Happy Sunday!


No comments: