Sunday, May 7, 2023

A reminder

This year is flying by.  I cannot believe it is already May and I missed celebrating cinco de mayo, lol.  Actually, I did have a few margaritas last week with Brie at Machete.  I had received some unsettling news about a friend and Brie accompanied me to the hospital and chose to spend the evening with me.  Margaritas, chips and salsa, eventually darts set the tone for our evening.  I do enjoy exploring spots in my neighborhood.  Machete is consistent.  Actually, the other night better than normal.  Our server was great!  I had met Jasmyn at the St. Paul Tavern in early April.  She took great care of us.

I wish I could say that I loved the new addition to Colfax, Bad Habits.  It was ok.  I loved playing darts with Brie and there were a few other games to choose from.  The tequila soda I ordered was one of the weakest drinks I have been served in my life.  First off, it the glassware was all wrong.  I didn't order a single in a pint glass.  I would have preferred a normal drink.  Short glass with a decent shot.  Most restaurants I have worked at pour an ounce and a half for a tequila soda.  I think the guy poured less than an ounce.  It was that weak.  To counter the shitty drink, Brie ordered an additional shot to make it palatable.  I ordered the next round and inquired about the price of a double.  I was told it would be twice the price of the single.  I know there are places that follow that system.  I questioned if it would be a healthy pour or a weak double.  I think she got my gist and made a proper drink.  I wasn't trying to be cheap.  I wanted a fair price for a decent cocktail.  Thankfully, the female bartender poured a better drink.

Since then, I have been figuring out how I am feeling.  I mean, I think back to when my I found out that my neighbor died in April.  Unsettling and reminded me to celebrate my life.  Hearing the news about my friend was like a punch to the stomach.  He has been in my life since 2008.  Supported me through moving to Phoenix, relocating to Santa Fe, and returning to Denver.  We have traveled together, and he helped me with my business when I started developing the Detox to Retox classes.  

Truly, I was unprepared to receive the news that he was hurt.  Immediately, I thought about Brian and that period of my life that was full of grief, parallel universes and haze.  

He is recovering and doing much better.  Still, I was unprepared for the news.  He is improving and I know that he has a vast support network.  I am so grateful that he is better.  Ironically, I have had some serendipitous interactions, too.  Two couples dined at the restaurant last night and casually mentioned the Brooks Tower.  It stopped me in my tracks.  My association with that building is not great.  I couldn't resist inquiring about how long they had lived there after their meal.  They moved in post 2006.  They asked me why I wanted to know.  When I mentioned that my boyfriend had died there, it became incredibly awkward.  Awkward apologies and I found it difficult it to maneuver.  My intention was not to bring it up for them to feel sorry for me.  It is an odd time.

I suppose my message is to fully live life in the present.  Tell people you love them.  Take photos of moments.  Use the special wine glasses.  Enjoy your life.  Do not wait for tomorrow.  We are not promised that.  

I will continue to be curate routines and ideas that support my livelihood.  I cannot change other people.  I can only improve myself.

No comments: