Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Weekend in Denver

I had the opportunity to spend the weekend in Denver.  I thought about it for some time before committing or asking Shari to join me.  I knew that it would mean that I would have to ask off from work and hope that they would be willing to accommodate me. 
For a little bit of time I reflected on my options.  Either work and make some good cash or head to Denver to celebrate my aunt's 50th birthday.  Since I lead an unconventional life (always) I opted for the latter.  Why wouldn't I take the weekend to spend with my aunt?  She only turns 50 once. 
Her reaction to the party was priceless.  She had no idea that we were all meeting to celebrate her.  She walked in and was overwhelmed with emotion.  She looked around the room and continued to be awestruck.  It was amazing.  I am so glad that I was part of it.
I was able to chit chat with all of her siblings, her parents and some of her friends that I had not met.  What a lovely day.  Earlier in the day, we met Brian's grandparents for breakfast.  I have not seen them since 2007 at the fundraiser for Brian.  They were on a road trip which they seem to do frequently.  They have family all over the western States.  That, too, was pleasant.  Catching up and creating another memory. 
I feel fortunate to have the people in my life that I do.  Lindsay stopped by Bryn's party with her son, Wrangler.  Sara Jo wanted to attend the soiree but was held up at work.  Thankfully, I saw her Saturday night for dinner.  My friend, Troy, drove up from Colorado Springs and joined us for dinner, too.  I have been waiting years for he and Shari to meet.  His brother died three weeks after Brian.  He and I have always shared this understanding and I wanted him to meet Shari.  Finally it happened.
Of course we stopped by to see Steve for a chimay.   We had some free time to do as we pleased.  We opted to head to Matthew Winters Park and drink wine.  It felt right to visit the spot where we had released some of Brian's ashes.  People kept walking by us and were either jealous or shocked.  One family of four hiked by us with pizza.  If only we had planned on food and wine.  That would have been ideal. 
The first night we had dinner with Tiffany, Dan and Maghan.  New spot in a hopping neighborhood.  Small, intimate space that had a lovely vibe.  We basically tried everything on the menu and it was great.  The last night, Shari and I walked to a neighborhood Italian gem.  Sat barside and watched the cooks in action.  Burrata, zucchini and octopus enchanted our taste buds.  It was a celebratory focused trip as well as foodie friendly vacation.  I told Shari that I would need to detox for a week to allow my liver to rest.  Still hasn't happened.  I had dinner with Melody on Monday and managed to arrange take-out last night from another local spot of mine.  Initially, I almost aborted my itinerary due to traffic and parking issues.  Then, I remembered that I could park at work and walk over.  Bingo!  Completely worked out in my favor.  I know a few of the bartenders at this spot and so I was treated extremely well.
Today, I head to yoga to begin the detox.  I forced myself to go to spin last night.  I am not a huge fan of exercising at night.  I prefer the early day class and find it difficult to go to evening classes.  It interferes with my meeting of friends and drinking wine.  Still, I am healthy and have the opportunity to do this.  I should be attending classes.
I see Denver in my near future. Maybe an early Monday/Tuesday return.  Til then, yoga will occupy my time.  Cheers!

No comments: