Sunday, January 4, 2015

Some of my favorite photos and memories

 Table Rock, South Africa.  Stunning.  Absolutely gorgeous.  I had the pleasure of spending two weeks in South Africa.  Mostly, Cape Town. In hindsight, I should have arranged more time in this magnificent country.  I loved the wine, the food and people. I stayed in a hostel on Long Street which reminded me of the french quarter.  The hostel was located above a bar where people partied until 4 am and the clean up began at 5 am.  Lots of pots and pans and cleaning of floors.
My goal was to hike up Table Mountain and take the cable down.  I went with a Canuck and it was late in the day and so we took the cable up and back.  What a view though.  I loved spending Friday happy hour there.
I remember taking a taxi back to Long Street and being flustered by the cabbie.  They warn you that taxi drivers take advantage of tourists and so my friend, the Canuck, and I tried to have the driver confirm a price before taking off.  He seemed a little sketchy but thankfully did not over charge us.  Afterwards, Andrew (the Canuck) and I had dinner at a game restaurant.  It was near the hostel.  Interesting decor and wonderful food.  I believe Andrew had a skewer of exotic meats and I stuck with chicken.  Lame, I suppose.  I wasn't too adventurous when it came to food that night.
 Simon's Town, South Africa.  On a day trip from Cape Town, we had a brief stop at this southern town.  It was overcast.  This was our first stop of the day.  Eventually, we rode bikes to lunch, hiked at the Cape of Good Hope and saw many baboons.
This image spoke to me.  I love it.  Still love it, in fact.  Wish that I could return and spend more on this beach.  I have some loose plans of where I would like to go this year.  I think on Thursday (my next day off), I will take the time to consider where I would like to venture.  I know that I will be heading to Arizona for yoga training, Austin for a celebration of life and hopefully, abroad--I'm thinking Spain--at some point 2015.  Outside of that, I don't know.  I know that there will be more trips and places to explore.  Maybe a return to California.
Isla de Corazon, Argentina.  Another favorite spot that I found while traveling.  I had taken a 19 hour bus ride from Buenos Aires to Bariloche.  We arrived in this great little town that reminded me of some of the mountain towns in Colorado.  I checked into my hostel and saw that they had a few day trips available.  There was a hiking venture to this spot, lunch and more hiking to a black glacier.  The tour was all in spanish.  I understood the majority of what was being said but had difficulty in responding.  I took a passive role.  I spent the majority of the day with an Italian man from Florence.  His camera wasn't working and so I took many photos of him to document his day.  We went to dinner that evening.  A vegetarian restaurant that many people raved about.  We drank wine and enjoyed a great meal.  Lorenzo was married and yet, still, so Italian.  Meaning macho.  He insisted on ordering the wine, ordering my food and essentially taking charge.  I thought it was funny.  Typical machismo.  
Yes, I have visited beautiful places, found solitude and dined with interesting people.  I am wanting to do more of this in 2015.  More travel, food and meeting people.

No comments: