Wednesday, January 4, 2017

more thoughts on resolutions and interesting cues

2017 brings more decisions about cooking at home.  I think back on the last year and consider how much money I spent on take-out, dining out, etc.  It's more convenient to pick up a salad then actually assemble it myself. 
Last night after work I went to a yoga class.  It was a new instructor for me and I didn't know what to expect.  Her credentials suggested that she was highly sought after in the metro area.  I'll admit.  I was excited.  I arrived ten minutes early and watched as the class began to fill up.  She had some music playing until the class began. She started class by speaking of intentions and how great it was to show up on your mat.  Normal.  All things that I have experienced and expected. 
She did point out the importance of breath and how that should be the focus of the class.  Clearly, I appreciated that as I have found fewer instructors, here, cueing breath and breathing.  If you aren't focusing on the breath in yoga, it is just an aroebics  class.  Breath is essential.
We do a few breath with movement exercises and then she moves on with modified chataranga.  At this point, I was like--wtf?  wtf is this modification?  It was a new one for me and one that I didn't particularly like.  I was hoping for more of vinyasa sequence with sun A's and sun B's.
As there was no music to distract me, I became more bored.  I was surprised at how many people were attending this class.  Actually liked her class.  I kept looking at my phone to see when the torture would be over.  She had interesting cues.  She referred to the breathing as yogic.  Seemed childlike to me and then my all-time favorite cue--bring your nipple to your thigh.
That completely stopped me.  Like the time I was in Siem Reap and the instructor said--relax.  relax your private parts.....wtf?
I reached out to my mentor last night to see if she had ever used that particular cue.  Her response said it all.   She laughed.  See I am not crazy when it comes to cueing and or recognizing inappropriate silly cues in classes.  Thankfully it ended and I made my way out of the studio.  Today, I will return to Barre classes and pray for upbeat music.
I did resolve to enjoy my kitchen more.  Use it.  Update some of my cookery and utilize my apartment.  I could invite friends over as opposed to dining out and being forced to endure bad service.  My last two experiences support that claim.  The first I had a snarky server.  I can overlook that as the food was great.  However, when her manager came over to open a bottle of bubbles and did not know the correct wine service, that was it.  I love wine service.  I love that aspect of dining even it is with a screw cap.  I still prefer the appropriate sequence.
So, yes, more dining at home.  With the holidays over, I have more friends available to entertain.  Perhaps after Columbia, I will make an effort to entertain once or twice a month.  Maybe more.  I do believe that I would enjoy using my space to have people over.
Off to run errands, stay warm and work out.  Columbia is in two weeks.  I cannot wait!

No comments: