Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hobbies and travel

Hobbies?  Anyone?  Any suggestions?
At one point, I did, in fact, know how to crochet.  I was ten or eleven but I could crochet a pot holder.  I learned to knit, too.  Well, sort of.  I never fully embraced that skill set.  Looking back, I wish I had paid more attention to some of these hobbies offered in 4H.  Crafting, creating art or gifts.  My mom has always cross stitched.  I did not have the patience for that one.  Too much detail and sitting.
I think I am considering a hobby or distraction after talking to my friend, Jan.  She went to some metal works class with some of our mutual friends.  It sounded fun and something different.  Of course, adult beverages were involved knowing her.  She made an outlet cover with some design.  Cute way to customize a room in a small way.  I would do it. 
I have been reading more.  It is an enjoyable hobby.  Can be done anywhere and is a great way to use a few hours up.  Coincides with my mid work schedule too.  It has been challenging to work the mid shift mostly because I do not have enough time to return home on my break.  I stay downtown and either grab lunch or run errands that I can do in the metro area.  Reading has been added to keep me busy during the break.  I either borrow books from the free libraries that are conveniently located in neighborhoods or buy used books. I alternate and contribute to the free library system myself.  I agreed to a gift exchange around the time of Christmas with some friends from Tucson.  I sent a book to some random guy--Love in the Time of Cholera--great book, I think.  I have not received a book from my string of people that agreed to do this.  Somewhat bummed since it is a neat idea and way to connect through books.  There is hope that I will eventually receive something. 
Until then, I continue to peruse the free neighborhood libraries.  And consider a new hobby to embark on.  Photography?  Home mec type of skills?  Metal fabrication?  Painting? 
In the physical sense, I feel a return to running.  I would like to sign up for a half marathon to motivate me to actually embark on running.  Maybe a fall trip.  I was talking to my sister yesterday and considering trips for the remainder of the year.  Seems my year is filling up quickly.  Palm Springs, Kansas, Aspen, Puerto Rico, Kansas, maybe Chicago and another return to Santa Fe and perhaps, D.C. or Texas.  I have been invited to three weddings this year.  Two are destination weddings.  For sure, I will go to Puerto Rico.  I wish that I could attend my friend's wedding in Tulum.  I just don't think I can swing it. I am considering if and I could take off from work and make it happen.  It's my old boss that I adore and am truly happy for his upcoming wedding.  I would love to share in the day with them in Tulum.  We will see.  He texted me last night to remind me of the event and gave me shit about basketball.  I received many texts last night about that game.  Tragic and difficult to watch.  Every time I was able to look up, we were throwing up a quick shot that did not complete the play or watching the score advance in the ducks favor.  I stopped watching as it was completely making me nuts! 
Heading to yoga to see what is out there.  Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

Arthur Greene said...

I’m bummed about the basketball too, darn those ducks! Sounds like you’re super busy – I know what that’s like! Do you really have time for a new hobby?! Photography sounds like a cool idea though, and Yoga’s good for chilling if you ever feel stressed out. All those weddings, how do you remember who’s marrying who?! Take care.

Arthur Greene @ Central MM