Wednesday, March 29, 2017

friends and connections

Yesterday, I taught my sous chef yoga.  We have been practicing together for six weeks or thereabouts.  It is fun to work with him and see how his practice is growing.  A novice to yoga it's been inspiring me to work on my cues and language.  When I work with Brie or Matt, I can say the posture and they know what it is.  I do not need to cue them to get them where I would like.  So it is a nice to work with a mix of people with different levels of yoga experience.  And, working with Ernesto enables me to cue the headstand or incorporate some of the astanga postures into my flow.  I do enjoy that very much.
After our session, he treated me to brunch.  Fewer options are available during the week but we managed to enjoy some creole fare.  I was a little shocked that Ernesto opted to drink a Sazerac to start the brunch sequence.  I mean, that is fierce.  I chose a grapefruit mimosa.  Seemed more my speed and safer to start my day off.  I did laundry, took a nap, read my book before meeting Hung for some afternoon Pho.  My former manager and friend, he and I meet every few months to catch up and enjoy some Vietnamese food.  Eventually, we will move onto a banh mi but for now, traditionally, we find a different noodle shop in the metro area. Yesterday, it was perfect as it was rainy and an eat soup kind of day.  I enjoyed the pho but have had better in other restaurants.  I always look forward to my lunch dates with Hung. 
Speaking of Vietnam and food....in 2011, I met Shari in Belize for our annual trip.  My flight arrived a day before hers and so I took the water taxi from Belize City to Caye Caulker.  The boat was jammed with other people also trying to get to the islands.  I started talking to these two couples and found out that they, too, were mid western and planning on spending 9 days in Belize.  I mentioned that Shari was meeting me and so they invited me to dinner that first night. 
Fast forward to now, I keep in touch with one of the couples--Jackie and Brian.  They visited me in Phoenix when I lived there.  They visited for spring training and met me for dinner.  Again, we had a pleasant time--great food, conversation and a few beers.  We are friends on facebook and so I see where they travel and likewise. 
Last year, I spent three weeks in Southeast Asia with Shari.  We toured northern Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.  I arranged travel through another friend of mine, Shana, since she had recently spent time in these countries.  From Shana's connections, I had a tuk tuk driver in Siem Reap and a place to stay in Hanoi.  And, Shari and I formed a friendship with a server we met in Hoi An.  Jackie contacted me last August inquiring about my Vietnam adventure.  I put her in touch with Luan and Bao, immediately, after she mentioned that she and her husband were heading to Vietnam for a vacation.  Thankfully they were able to meet Luan and Bao on facebook.  On Sunday, Jackie sent me a photo of her and Brian with Bao and his wife enjoying lunch in Hoi An.  It made me so happy to have been able to connect these amazing people.  And all due to random conversations and travel.  I love travel!
I look forward to hearing about their trip at some point in the near future.  Maybe they will visit me in Denver.  Or, maybe I will see them in Mexico sometime soon.  It was awesome!  I am off to celebrate another day off.  It is gloomy here.  Green chile sounds delicious or perhaps another bowl of Pho.....

No comments: