Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Adventure in New Mexico

The view from my airbnb in Santa Fe...gorgeous.  Such an enchanting sight and peaceful, serene, tranquil.  I had considered a trip earlier in March and chose to make it happen with three days off in a row.  Initially, I planned on going solo and then thought better of it.  I asked Maghan if he would like to join me and he did.  Last year, we had made a similar venture down to Santa Fe but our visit was cut short due to weather.  We hit snow both ways.  The first day we spent six hours in the same spot about 20 miles south of Denver.  Eventually, we were able to return to Denver after exhausting our options in Castle Rock.  We tried to acquire a hotel room but everything was booked.  It was brutal!
This time the weather was glorious.  Easy drive down with a stop in Rye for a quick lunch and beer.  I love this roadside café that is an ideal spot to break up the drive.  Always great service and the beer selection is fine.  After the mini stop we continued into New Mexico and arrived in Santa Fe around 5 pm.  Found our rental for the next few days and settled in.  Translation, opened some bubbles and took in the view.  Delightful.
Dinner was spent at La Choza with friends.  I always manage to dine here on my visits.  If not once, then twice.  Always a treat and fun experience.  This time was no different.  Melody and Clayton joined us for a nice meal.  I met Melody in 2004 and we have remained friends from my annual visits and brief living in Santa Fe.  She celebrated my celebration in New Orleans last year, for example.  She is that type of friend--long lasting.  We sampled guacamole, pork tamales, enchilada and green chile.  That is, by far, the best.  I love the chile!  Oh, and the silver coins are a must while dining there, too.
Ojo Caliente was definitely in the cards this visit.  What a glorious way to spend a Thursday. 
We soaked, steamed and felt extremely rejuvenated.  Afterwards, we drank some wine on their restaurant porch and continued to relax.  I drove us back to Santa Fe before making reservations at a French spot.  Delicious.  The entire trip revolved around food, wine and relaxing.  Epic adventure!
It feels nice to be back and figuring out an upcoming adventure.  Seeing Aspen in my future along with Kansas and Puerto Rico.  My friends are getting married there later this year and my youngest sister is exchanging vows in Kansas.  It will be a great year of travel and food.  I may even return to making this more of a priority.  I have been getting distracted by little stuff.  I should be free flowing more here.  Hoping to make it happen.  Cheers!


No comments: