Sunday, April 23, 2017

mini vacay to Cali

Welcome to the Palm Springs airport.  I loved being greeted by a palm tree!  Great way to begin this adventure with Sara Jo.  I had been bugging her to do a girls' trip and wanted her to choose the destination.  Typically, I lead the cause and determine the details of the trips.  I wanted her to try this out. 
She chose Palm Springs since I had not been there and her brother lives there.  Seemed like a great way to achieve two goals--appease my desire for more trips and see her brother.  I had met Wes in 2006.  He has lived in Cali for the last 8 or 9 years. His girlfriend, Heather, and her daughter also live with him in the desert but in the high desert.  We would spend time in Palm Springs and in the high desert with Heather and Kay.  I knew that some family time would be involved and that we would also have time to explore the dining scene. 
We met Wes and walked around the downtown area after a quick lunch.  We discussed our options of the next few days.  I told Wes and Heather that I was up for anything as long as food and drink were involved.  They mentioned Joshua Tree and a music venue in the high desert that was worthwhile and something they would like to take us to.  Of course, when we booked the trip, we did not factor in Coachella or how busy things would be due to that music festival. 

Joshua Tree was awesome.  Many other people were touring the national park.  We chose a trail that led to water.  Gorgeous.  There was hieroglyphs and an easy trail to maneuver.  We stopped at a few other spots while driving around the park.  Toured the park that afternoon before returning to town for micheladas and chips and salsa.  There were limited dining options in their town.  We could choose between Chinese, greek or Mexican.  I can rarely turn down chips and salsa so it was an easy choice for me.  However, Kay really wanted Chinese and so we pondered that option.  Mexican won.  We stopped by a local market for street tacos before returning to their house
It was a lovely trip.  More family centered than I thought it to be and worked out well.  I saw cactus, became nostalgic for the desert and had some great food.  It was a quick trip.  Not too many options of flights on Saturday.  The latest return was 1:30 pm so we made the most of it.  Our final meal was at Spencer's.  Delicious.  One of my customers insisted that we should dine there.  Even went as for as giving me money to pay for our lunch.  Such a sweet guy!  He kept raving about the shrimp cocktail.  Of course, we had to try that.  It was all about the mustard sauce and gigantic shrimp.
Great quick trip and fun to watch the family dynamics. 
Upon returning to Denver, I am experiencing insane allergies and congestion.,  Something about the change of weather.  I woke up at 3 and was unable to return to sleep.  Super congested and irritated.
I will reflect more later.  It was a lovely much needed venture to California.


No comments: