Wednesday, May 24, 2017

more about the recent vacay

Chicago is delightful.  I could go on and on....only hope to return and explore more of the city.  Til then, I can reflect on the last trip.  There was many bars, restaurants and some walking involved.  We did manage to avoid running along Lakeshore Drive.  Truly, I thought that would happen.  Maybe not for me but I believed Maghan would do it.  There was an option of riding bikes too.  There was a stash of bikes about two blocks from the airbnb we could utilize if we had been more interested.  The weather sorted us out--two rainy, cooler days.  Maybe next time.
I had yoga in my thoughts and a plan to achieve it.  I know a few instructors that live there and knew I would experience a killer class if I found one that worked for my schedule.  I wanted a morning class, mid morning, preferably.  I could uber to it and return to start the day.  I found a studio and had every intention of going.  I woke up on Wednesday morning, hungover.  Still, determined to attend Gina's class.  I showered and mentally prepared to head out.  I rechecked the schedule and found that Gina was no longer teaching the 9 am slot.  Crap!  I looked at other options to fill the following days.  Somehow, she was not teaching at any of the studios that she works for.  I could attend another instructor's class only Amber teaches predominantly in the evenings.  That wouldn't work.  I knew that I would be day drinking and barhopping.  Attending an afternoon class would inhibit my exploration of the city.
The yoga appeal decreased.  I wanted to go but spending $25 to drop in to a class where I didn't know the instructor was not something I wanted to do.  Honestly, I could have researched more and looked into a Barre class (another obsession of mine).  Perhaps next trip.  Instead, I told myself that there would be walking involved and I could throw in extra pushups at the rental to cover the skipping of yoga.  I think I managed 10 more pushups....on one of the days.
I was vacationing.  I didn't want to focus on my lack of exercise.  I wanted to enjoy the delights of the city. Back to that....tacos, ramen, wine bars, beer bars and an architecture tour.  That was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.  Chicago is rich in history and I enjoyed listening to the history behind some of the buildings along the river.  I loved the modernist approach and seeing some of the multi-use buildings.  They offered beer and wine on the tour.  Not a great selection.  It would be nice if they improved that aspect of it.  The bartender was kind in pointing out that a glass was $8 and a bottle was $24 if I thought I would be returning to purchase two more glasses.  The bottle might be the way to go.  I declined.  We didn't want to overindulge and miss our dining that night.  And, the wine was crap (as earlier noted).
We tried to explore the city on foot and do some sightseeing.  I think next time we should visit in September.  Weather will still be good and maybe not as rainy. I wouldn't mind doing a bike tour to bar hop.  That could be entertaining and multi-useful.  Detoxing and retoxing.  Finding the balance of it all. 
I must prepare for my day off.  Reflexology, massage, barre class.  I am ready!


No comments: