Saturday, October 20, 2018

Las Vegas

I had the pleasure of spending a few days in Sin City since I had a friend attending a conference there.  I opted to impulsively book a flight for 36 hours and head west.  In hindsight, I should have sought out better flight times.  Arriving earlier on Monday with a departure on Wednesday morning or afternoon.  The flight I arranged was a 1 am red eye which is not my jam I have learned.  I completely overslept.  Frantically, I rebooked a flight and was able to ease back to sleep.  But, let's back up.  That was only one aspect of my adventure.
I arrived Monday night and dined at Bouchon.  I have always loved Bouchon.  It is consistently amazing.  We sampled the mussels, oysters, pate, frites and green beans.  A smorgasbord of deliciousness.  Tuesday morning, I stopped by another favorite, Mon Ami Gabi.  I considered sitting outside to people watch and then reconsidered.  I could absolutely enjoy a fantastic meal sitting bar side.  I ordered smoked salmon and bagels with extra capers.  It was a great way to begin the day.  I prefer a savory breakfast to sweet and actually tend to enjoy green chile and eggs if I have my way.  Mon Ami Gabi is a French restaurant and so that was not an option.
Next, I headed off Strip to a Korean Spa for a treatment.  I was interested in a body scrub/massage combo which was offered as one of their services.  In addition they have a hot tub, cold plunge, two steam saunas and multiple dry saunas.  That alone is enticing and then I had the body scrub combo.  It was good, not great, in comparison to what I have found in Denver.  The massage in Denver entails a cucumber mask, followed by a mix of honey and milk being massaged into your body.  My skin feels luxurious afterwards.  At any rate, it was a nice break from the Strip and a good treatment.  I do prefer the dry saunas that are offered at the Imperial Spa.  There is a red clay room that is magical.
I walked to a Thai restaurant for tuna tartare and cucumber salad.  Perfect way to celebrate lunch.  I returned to the venetian for a quick nap and had baseball on in the background.  I packed my bag and waited for my friend to return for a light dinner.  He had work obligations and so I stopped by Chica for octopus and then beef carpaccio at Del Monico's.  I wanted to continue to watch baseball and Chica did not have a tv.
I thought this was how my Vegas adventure would conclude.  Instead I completely overslept thru my alarm and woke up at 3 am.  Awesome.  I should have been arriving in Denver around that time.  Thankfully, I was able to rebook my flight for the following afternoon.  I pushed back a yoga client and rescheduled my chiropractor appointment.  Then, I thought about how I would like to enjoy the additional day of the food factor.  There was a greek restaurant that looked intriguing and was open for lunch.  I had the most delicious charred octopus over a fava bean puree.  And a Greek salad that was terrific.  I felt very blessed to have missed my flight.  Otherwise I would have missed out on a spectacular meal.
The weather was perfect, too.  I should have packed shorts and a light fleece as opposed to the heavier jacket that I brought.  I was concerned about the comings and goings of Denver.  It has been a lovely October--two trips--one to Santa Fe and another to Las Vegas.  A bunch of yoga and some personal treatments of body scrub and physical therapy.  It's been epic.
Today I will check out another yoga studio and see what they are offering.  Perhaps even incorporate some of it into my teachings.  We shall see.
I do enjoy Sin City.  Not for the obvious gambling but for the delightful food factor.  It truly is endless--so many options.  I could return in a week and explore five other restaurants and be just as happy.  Maybe even more so.
Off to flow and say cheers to Saturday!  Enjoy!

No comments: