Thursday, August 5, 2010

Bahamas and giving back





The Bahamas--stunning.
Absolutely, sufficiently stunning.
My week was full of snorkeling, diving, sun burn---yes, never ending sunburn. Somehow, Neutrogena 85 failed me. Yes, I applied it multiple times during the course of the day. And, I had help with applying it.
Outside of the sunburn, my trip was stellar. I stayed with my friend, Shar, and she was gracious/hospitable enough to introduce me to all of her local friends. I wish I could explain how special Shar is to me. I met her on a whim since I was staying in a bed bug infested hostel in Chile. It was run by an American and I wasn't impressed with his bedside manner. Basically, the guy was absent during the beginning of my stay at his hostel and when he returned, he turned out to be a consumate jackass. Trying to maintain proper form, I went to him to explain the bedbug outbreak, but keep it contained. I wanted to prevent him from losing money on all of his guests. However, his response to my bites was incredulous. Verbatim---she's the one that thinks she has bed bugs.
Really?
These are supposed bites. At which point, I took off my shirt to expose the bites-obvious, evident, real bites.
Yes, I met Shar in this environment and we chose to jump ship and head to the coast. She to Vina del Mar, and me, to Valparaiso. Eventually, we met in Valpo and spent the remainder of my Chilean venture there.
Since then, we are facebook friends, but I had not seen her since February 2008.
I arrived in Nassau and she and Eddie, a friend, picked me up. Within 25 minutes, I was at the beach, enjoying the tremendous water. This started my 7 day stint in paradise.
Quick side note---yes, I stayed with my friend and she, in turn, included me in her life. Part of which was the addition of couch surfers. I think I will sign up for this service since let's be honest, I love traveling and any way to decrease my cost, abroad, is welcome. Yes, I think I will sign up to host couch surfers. Not necessarily to show them around, 100%, but to enable a safe place to stay.
Mentioning this service, also, makes me think of service, in general. I know that I have noted, this before, but summer is almost over. If you the ability to host a child for the summer or donate, please do. Check out www.freshair.org. They need host families and/or sponsors through the fall. It is an excellent way to give back to the community, meet new people, establish more contacts.
I think of the fresh air fund and realize that in my own way, I have benefitted, completely, from people's generosity. IE...Shar and her friends. Meeting couch surfers, other travelers....having the desire to see a part of the world that is unknown to me. If you have any inclination or desire to better this planet, please check out www.freshair.org. Not only are you personally benefitting; but, you could be providing an opportunity for someone else to see the world or something unknown to them.
I know that I must document my trip, more fully, to The Bahamas. I had an excellent trip. And, yes, I believe in service. Please check out freshair.org. Enjoy your night!

No comments: