Saturday, August 28, 2010

August 28th


Eight years ago, August 28th, I went on my first date with Brian. This will always be a memorable day in my life and I believe that I will continue to celebrate with food, wine and adventure.
Our first date, he took me to a Rockies game at Coors Field. We played the Giants and won--I think. Really, I wasn't focusing on that as much as wondering about Brian. At the end of the date, he drove me to my house that I was sharing with 3 guys (my dad hated that fact) and said, verbatim---this wasn't a date....but would you like to do something on Monday? We could go to the mountains.
We used to celebrate our anniversary by going to a Rockies game, the Falling Rock for a pint or 3 and then a nice dinner. The final year we spent together, we had a couples massage at Indulgences Spa in the Highlands, followed by a home cooked Brian meal. He always spoiled me with wine and food. And he treated me to a beautiful necklace that I wear, infrequently. It is too special to wear everyday. I treasure all of the time that we spent together.
After he died in 2006, I chose to continue to celebrate our day.

This year, I am heading to Cali to check out Healdsburg. Specifically, Restaurant Cyrus. It seemed like a great fit since I have dined at the French Laundry and I love wine country. Plus, Cyrus allows people to solo dine at the bar. I do not mind dining, by myself. Actually, I prefer it sometimes. I always meet interesting people this way. However, I do not enjoy sitting at a table by myself, even with a book. I like sitting at the bar and talking to locals, travelers and the bartenders as they have the best suggestions of local restaurants and or bars.

Today is a beautiful day. Celebrate your loved ones and life. I will be toasting Brian. Cheers!

2 comments:

Lila said...

Cheers to Brian.

It is wonderful you celebrate your lives together instead of thinking of the loss.

Happy Anniversary to you and Brian must be smiling.

harmony said...

I think he is too.
Thank you for the kind words.

I hope to have many photos of my meal, tonight, and the rest of the wine country adventure.