Saturday, August 21, 2010

Dreaming of a beach....











I try to plan holiday travel, early, each year.




Sometimes, it works.




The last three of four years, I have spent xmas is Las Vegas. I have been fortunate to convince my friends to meet me there. It isn't a hard sell. Really, it's not. There are shows, restaurants, night life--open and available to everyone.




The first year I went, I was surprised at the amount of families spending their holidays there. To me, it is an adult city. I wouldn't dream of bringing a child there. Surrounded by drunks, addicts....the ultimate adult play ground.




However, I do enjoy spending christmas, there, for the food factor. I dine at Bouchon on christmas night and have lunch at Olives. Yes, life is grand.




This year, I envision a beach. Did Imention that I spent one xmas at Margaret River, Australia. There is a hostel--Surfer's Resort--about a mile from the beach. Clean hostel with a group of interesting people. I spent the holiday with a Scot, a Canadian and two guys from the UK. Christmas Eve was spent on the beach, at dusk, followed by pints at a pub in the town. Glorious and it is beckoning to me, now. Not, precisely Margaret River, but a beach.
Where would you spend christmas? What should I consider? This is definitely a non-Vegas type of year.
I feel the waves, the sun, the sand. San Diego seems appropriate, but I am not against international travel. I want to be inspired.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Happy Saturday!

No comments: