Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year thoughts

Happy 2011.
The promise.
Possibility.
Opportunity.
I love new beginnings.
Mostly, I love the idea of inspiration. The last few days, everyone's energy has increased and been positive. They contemplate their changes to better themselves and the world around them.
I read a few blogs that have suggested being more green. I am on board with that. I have decreased the amount of plastic bags I use based on the reuseable bags that I have. I put them in my car to make it as convenient as possible to use that bag instead of the plastic ones. I like that Whole Foods doesn't even have plastic bags available anymore. I wonder why Safeway doesn't practice this. Is it cost effective to have plastic bags for them? They try to say they are green and in tune with the environment but having plastic bags is counterproductive, right? I wish they would do away with plastic bags and only offer paper bags.
Driving less. I am pretty good with this one. My friends scoffed at me when I told them I dined at La Cueva the other night. Their response--did someone drive you there or did you walk? You didn't drive, right?
Yes, I am walking friendly and have recently begun using the public transportation available in Denver. I think it is imperative to time it right or walking will be alternative. Sara and I went day drinking inspite of the frigid weather Thursday. We took the bus, both directions, but the ride home was miserable. We had to wait for the bus and we were FREEZING. I was minutes away from calling a taxi. She insisted that the bus was on its way and I believed her. She was right and we did make it home safe. Honestly, it took me thirty minutes to defrost my toes. Still, I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I didn't want to drive in that crap weather, try to find a parking space, drink, be irresponsible, yada, yada, yada....yes, public transport was definitely the way to go.
Having gratitude for life. The people in it, health, job, you name it--be thankful for it. We take things for granted. We shouldn't. In the blink of the eye, everything can change.
On Tuesday, Michaela called me, frantic, to tell me that my dad was in the hospital. Immediately, my thoughts jumped to how quickly I could get to Missouri. Should I book a flight or drive? I was listening to what she was saying, but I couldn't process what my action should be. It was awful and as hard as it was to hear that my dad was in the hospital, it was almost worse to hear the fear in my sister's voice. He is okay, recovering from a bleeding ulcer. I am concerned about him and his wife. There is too much stress in their lives and I would do anything to be able to alleviate some of it. I have a feeling that my first trip of 2011 will be to the midwest. Not out of obligation but because I want to.
I ran the Park to Park 10-miler Labor Day. Afterwards while walking through the expo, I picked up a bag/note card from Lululemon Athletica. It has a series of phrases/quotes/inspirational sayings. One sticks out in my mind--Stress is related to 99% of all illness. Find a way to channel stress--faith, yoga, running. Do something to be happy and present in the moment.
Travel. Travel. Travel.
I am taking steps to continue this quest. I sent my old passport in and cannot wait to get it back. The only hope I have with the new one once I get it is that I fill it up with stamps. I must fill it up and even request new pages. Traveling is a priority in my life and I want to be true to it. There are many countries that I intend to explore, discover and learn.

Friends. Seeking them out and enjoying moments with them. Tomorrow will be my first bond forming memory of this year. 3 of my good friends are bringing a few of theirs to join us in a canvas and cocktail class. We are painting trees while drinking mimosas. Talk about excellent idea and a great way to begin the year.

Health--work in progress. All, I can hope for, is that I find 3-4 ideal destination 1/2 marathons. I know of 3 with my name on it. Thankfully, there are many options of wine races. Drinking water, yoga, smiling....all things that I intend to do more of this year.

I hope you enjoy yours, too. Happy New Year. Be kind to yourself and others.....

No comments: