Friday, February 1, 2013

frustrations

Sometimes, I am lazy.  Shocking, I know.  Especially, when I consider how little I blogged last year.  Yes, I can be lazy.  My sister, Jade, had a birthday on christmas.  I know when it is, obviously, as we have celebrated her birthday and christmas since she was born.  I sent her family my gift for christmas and then I considered what I could get for her.
Honestly, this year, she called me and told me that she wanted to train for a half marathon.  I could hear the excitement in her voice as she detailed her training plan.  I asked her what shoes she would use and she didn't know.  I suggested going to a running store and having a gait analysis done.  Since she lives in Eugene, Oregon, I knew there would be stores committed to running as it is the home of Pre.  I also told her that I wore Saucony's, liked Asic's and thought Brook's were also great shoes. They just don't suit me the way that Saucony's do.
Anyways, I had a plan and then time got away from me.  I looked on-line at their local running store and didn't see any links to purchase gift cards.  I believed it would be an easy transaction.  I called them yesterday to purchase a gift card.  I really want my sister to have a nice pair of shoes for running.  I want her to commit to her goal.
Imagine my dismay when the guy on the phone tells me they don't really suggest that method.  I stopped and thought, how difficult is it to charge my card, send the gift card to my sister and a copy of the receipt to me?  The kid explained that if it got lost in the mail they would not honor the gift card.
What?
As an alternative, he suggested that I purchase store credit in her name and she could redeem it as a member.  She's not a member of the store and so that isn't a solution.
I told the kid I would consider my options and got off the phone.   I thought about calling Michaela to have her get the gift card on my behalf.  However, why am I jumping through hoops to get a simple gift card?  I am not buying a card from them.  I just need to re-think the ideal gift for Jade.  I don't want to send her a check.  I really wanted to contribute to her shoes.  I am proud of her for seeking out the half marathon and know she can do it.
I am frustrated in my inability to suss out the store's negligence until now, too.  I am lame....

No comments: