Saturday, September 4, 2010

Healdsburg's offerings--day one





















My first stop in Healdsburg---Simi Winery.
I arrived later than I had anticipated. I believed that the drive would take an hour-tops-but checking in to the rental car agency, maneuvering San Francisco and heading north on the 101 took awhile. Traffic, construction and delay. Yes, Simi Winery was a welcome beginning to my adventure in Healdsburg.
I did a wine tasting and purchased a bottle of wine to utilize later. Knowing my habits, I would want a glass of wine pre and possibly, post-dinner.
I returned to the Dry Creek Inn and enjoyed the comforts of the room. Surprisingly, it is a Best Western. And, probably, the nicest Best Western that I have stayed in. I had a jetted tub, separate shower and robe. I am a sucker for robes in hotel rooms. I know---simple comforts go along way.
I used the computer that the hotel provided and relaxed the afternoon away. I knew that I would be dining at Cyrus and did not want to arrive too early. I wasn't interested in an early bird special type of meal.
Cyrus is located in Healdsburg. I have been fortunate to dine at several amazing restaurants in the U.S.---French Laundry, Daniel, Bouchon, Tru--to name a few. Cyrus was the latest find and supposedly, it rivals the French Laundry. Intrigued, I set my sights on a meal there.
I like that they offer bar seating. The French Laundry and Tru do not offer the full menu if seated at the bar. Cyrus offers a la carte servings of their menu. Plus, they have an extensive list of cocktails. I believe they are well known for their mixology skills which I also enjoyed viewing.
I sampled a watermelon cayenne cocktail and a cucmber drink. They offer the cucumber drink with gin, but since I am a vodka girl, I asked if she would make an exception. Lovely summer drinks!
Eventually, after a few conversations with other guests waiting for their tables, I ordered the tofu with summer squash and sea beans, followed by the sweet corn and truffle risotto. The food was delightful. The drinks were a nice accompaniment prior to wine. Yes, I drank red wine with the meal. Typical "me" behavior.
I finished my experience with a cheese course and coffee. The coffee was amazing and I couldn't resist it. I asked the bartender to call me a cab and her bar back offered to drive me back to the hotel. I loved that aspect of the night. How often does an establishment offer to give a guest a ride as opposed to the cab service?
I felt my experience at Cyrus was successful. My only negative gripe is a subjective matter. I tipped the bartender, well--I thought, and she didn't say thank you. Really? I sit there for 3 hours, dine at the bar providing a direct tip based on your service and no thank you is given? But, that is me. I think it is appropriate to say thank you.
The ride did offset my opinion of negativity. That was so sweet! And, the food was lovely, beautifully presented and scrumptious! I would love to dine there again and sample more of their fare.

No comments: