Thursday, May 17, 2018

Being adult like.....

Feeling like an adult...why do it?  What qualifies as a responsible task?  For me?  It translates to making appointments with the eye doctor, lady doctor and dentist.  Typically, I avoid the dentist like the plague.  Always have.  My first indication that, genetically, I would have teeth issues was seeing my childhood dentist before moving to Phoenix.  I wanted to receive a clean bill of health and run west before I was kicked off my dad's insurance plan.  Back then, the minute you graduated from college, you were no longer a dependent on a plan.  I learned that fast.
My dentist opened my mouth up and picked around and discovered that I would need a root canal.  I was leaving the next day for Phoenix and so there wasn't time to set up an appointment.  Oh, and I was no longer on the insurance plan and so it would be a costly out of pocket expense.  I remember him slapping a temp over my tooth and his wishing me well.  I waited two years (almost) before having work done.  I can be stubborn and during this time, my wisdom teeth made their presence known and a few other must do teeth things.  I handled it as best as I could and relocated to Denver.  Routinely, I would see the eye doctor and lady doc with hesitation.  The dentist remained out of sight, out of mind.  I waited for almost ten years ( I know, this is despicable and lazy) before returning to the dentist.  Of course, I had cavities and other things to contend with.  I postponed it til I absolutely could no longer wait and my job offered health insurance which helped soften the blow, financially.  I returned to a new dentist last October and had to have my teeth scaled.  This is something that I never want to experience again.  It was uncomfortable and required multiple shots to numb my mouth.  Did I mention that I this required two visits to the dentist?   Insurance will only cover two quadrants at a time and so I had to make a follow up visit to have the other side scaled.  Mortifying.
From the scaling, it was suggested that I have cleanings every three months.  I have made an effort to be responsible (for once) and have faithfully completed the cleanings.   Last time, it took fifteen minutes and it was over.   Today, my second cleaning of the year, was more detailed.  Still with no x-rays and a reminder that I needed to have some work done.  Cavities, an infection and a mouth guard.  My favorite.  I have been told my entire life that I grind my teeth.  One boyfriend told me it was like sleeping next to a machine, lol.  I know that I do need to address the mouth guard situation and the receptionist told me I could acquire one for $325.  It seems ridiculous.  So, I am trying to modify my behavior to reduce stress and hopefully, decrease the grinding of my teeth.
In all honesty, I know that I have made improvements and that it is not all doom and gloom.  There are things I can do and I will.  There are natural things to ease the wear and tear on my teeth.
These are all adult like tasks.  They distract me from travel or arranging travel.  I'm not a fan.  I know that I should have some car maintenance done and purchase new glasses.  While in Minneapolis, I scored some designer frames and have an in with some lens people.  Then there is the lady doc--must do soon.  And then there is the dentist.  Can I give myself time to naturally heal?  The receptionist seemed fine giving me that out.  There was no pressure to set up a follow-up cleaning.  She even suggested pushing it to next year.
It does bother me that they did not take x-rays today especially after informing me that this was my second cleaning of the year.  The final one to be covered by insurance.  WTF?
I will continue to use charcoal toothpaste which is fluoride free and floss. Maybe even incorporate the oil pulling back into my regime.  I take it seriously even if I don't love it. I have been performing some jaw exercises which will hopefully help in that area, too.  I must do something!  I want to refocus on the fun factors in my life.  Travel, drinking wine and meeting friends.  Adulting is not always fun!

No comments: